copy writer » copyrighter
Spotted in the wild:
- Andrew is 22 and is from Glasgow. He has been a freelance copyrighter for the past 2 years, but is considering going back to university to study communication and mass media. (BBC Talents)
- God this is a crap website. You should consider getting it redesigned by professionals. Your content is lacking in structure and is gramatically incorrect in parts. I suggest a copy righter be used in future. (comment on a blog)
- Discover how to become an effective internet copyrighter. Download this free eBook to your PC. (2createawebsite.com)
- Basically I am a one man shop, but for a couple of bigger projects I have lined up I am playing around with the idea of outsourcing a graphic designer and a copyrighter. (link)
Analyzed or reported by:
- Mark Mandel via Arnold Zwicky at Language Log (The Fall Eggcorn Crop)
There seems to be an increasing conflation between _copyright_ and _copywriting_ (the occupation of a _copy writer_). The examples above all use _copyrighter_ where there reference is a person employed to write advertising or publicity copy.
In other cases _copyrighter_ is used in the sense of _copyright holder_, but most of these writers appear to be non-native speakers.