Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-05-20 05:28:56

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

"melange a trois" for "menage a trois"

Not an eggcorn but, perhaps, worthy of recording as there seems to be many such examples of a distinct sub-species of malapropism resulting from the accidental mangling of French by English speakers.
‘Menage a trois’ is simply a living arrangement but in English is used in a sexual sense only. ‘Melange a trois’ is a blend of three things – usually applied to a musical trio or three elements of culinary delight – rather than the dubious sexual imagery of the following examples…

... a king size bed. notice there are three pillows. it was a threesome from Europe doing a melange-a-trois maybe. don’t remember folks …
www.cancunsteve.com/mexicocity/marlinlong307.htm – 5k – Cached

Adrienne, My writer was involved in a melange a trois and it was complicated. It was dificult for her, when you combine sexuality with friends and it is …
rapids.canoe.ca/cgi-bin/NewChat/NC-transcript.pl?CHAT_NAME=Flirt-23&WATCHER_ID=000023&ACTION=TRAN… – 36k – Cached

joining a melange-a-trois…a la MFM. I mean, this has been sorta kinda on my mind for a while now, but I’ve yet to find the man i had hoped to meet to have …
www.43things.com/things/view/1057355 – 29k – Supplemental Result – Cached

And here’s another: ‘corsage’ for ‘cortege’:

I would be grateful to join the funeral corsage wendling its way down this hallowed street-and-a-half. His p.r. on our behalf has what I always call Big Mo …
query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=travel&res=9800E0DB133BF93BA15751C0A964948260 – 34k – 18 May 2007 – Cached

I wasn’t meaning to be sacreligious – but I’d just passed a funeral corsage of a biker and all his Hell’s Angel friends, having attended a ton-up funeral at …
www.authorsden.com/visit/viewPoetry.asp?id=137631 – 47k – Supplemental Result – Cached

#2 2007-05-26 20:42:34

Fishbait2
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "melange a trois" for "menage a trois"

I love “corsage” for “cortege.” I think I’d even buy it as an eggcorn, given the association between flowers and funerals.

David

#3 2007-05-29 00:39:43

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: "melange a trois" for "menage a trois"

In Peter’s final example, I especially like the image of a Hell’s Angel with a corsage.

Board footer