Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-03-10 14:11:26

JonW719
Eggcornista

Crap the whip vs. crack the whip

OK, one of these examples is a band name, but otherwise these appear to be unknowing reshapings of the original phrase. (But for the life of me I can’t imagine what image passes through the mind when someone says this.)

Support Groups for JeepaholicsYeah, Tandi, crap the whip!! I’ll bring some firewood if I can fit it in the car. JeepinScott, Posted – 01/20/2008 : 2:08:07 PM …
www.jeepaholics.com/support/post.asp?me … FORUM_ID=2 – 75k – Cached – Similar pages

WAGW #67 / TOP TEN REASONS I WOULD BE A CRAPPY SUPER-VILLAIN …June 2nd 2005, 12:43 PM. I dunno. :( I just can’t crap the whip as good as Blake does. WhereIsTony. June 2nd 2005, 12:54 PM …
www.comixtreme.com/forums/archive/index … 17919.html – 27k – Cached – Similar pages

X-MEN: KITTY PRYDE, SHADOW AND FLAME #1 ADVANCE REVIEW [Archive …haha yeah, i suppose we should stay on topic, or else blake might crap the whip on us :] (oh will he ever live it down , i dont know!) ...
www.comixtreme.com/forums/archive/index … 18576.html – 9k – Cached – Similar pages
More results from www.comixtreme.com »

ABBA Cadaver Aerosol Mineo Avant Gardners Bat Penatar Bertolt …... Monkees Kris Pissedofferson Yngwie Rammstein Nick Rhodesaw The Jacque Offe Quintet Yanni Difranco Placido’s Domingleberries Crap The Whip Natasha Asslet …
www.planet-records.com/rev/random.txt – 10k – Cached – Similar pages

Any Boost From Adlinks?I hope that it does work long term and I also hope that Google continues to crap the whip in the product department. ...
www.webmasterworld.com/forum89/5634.htm – Similar pages

I rule the worldI’m rather fond of the picture now and have traced it in different pens, pencils, or whatnot several times. Gina wants to crap the whip. Read 8 – Post …
deetroyt.livejournal.com/ – 54k – Cached – Similar pages

1984-1989 Mk1 Mr2 – Toyota Forums :: Toyota NationSuit yourself man, some websites don’t let you post on their For Sale sections without actually having pics of the items, don’t make me crap the whip! ...
www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218815 – 120k – Cached – Similar pages

Last edited by JonW719 (2008-03-11 14:15:05)

Feeling quite combobulated.

#2 2008-03-12 11:51:31

JonW719
Eggcornista

Re: Crap the whip vs. crack the whip

I’m surprised this one hasn’t generated any responses. I’m really puzzled as to 1) how this phrase has come about (what linguistic process or gymnastics might be occurring here) and 2) what in the world the speaker/writer might be thinking as he/she speaks. Any thoughts?

#3 2008-03-12 12:31:48

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Well, I did have a little delve on the subject but came to the conclusion that it was probably no more than mishearing, and few of us question new acquisitions many of which make no sense at all. I found a couple of examples of “crack the wick”, and several “crap of the whip” which yields similarly unhelpful imagery. I also found “whip the crack’ on an IndoEnglish site, demonstrating how an imperfectly absorbed idiom can yield unwanted imagery…

Reddy has to think hard to find ways to make the system function properly or whip the crack without any hesitation. CAS interviews …
www.hindu.com/edu/2005/ 09/05/stories/2005090501130200.htm – 26k – Cached

#4 2008-03-12 13:14:24

patschwieterman
Administrator

Sometimes I think we here on the forum don’t take into account sufficiently the kinds of “mechanical” things that just plainly go wrong when people are typing quickly and without careful attention. I myself have a weird tendency to substitute words that have no connection to the “target word” except a similar sound. For instance, I think I’ve typed “hold” for “whole,” and “partial” for “parcel.” And I once wrote “wajor” just moments after writing (the correct) “wager.” There was no misunderstanding on my part in these cases—in the first two examples, my fingers simply seized control for a split second and mindlessly typed a word that was similar in sound to the one I intended but unrelated semantically. I think I do this sort of thing more than most (I’m a fairly reluctant and inexpert typist), but I’ve seen clear instances of it on student papers, too. I’ve even asked students about it to see if it was just a “Cupertino”/spellchecker mistake, but they usually think it’s the same kind of mindless thing I experience. “Crap” for “crack” is a good example of the type of mistake I could author before getting around to proofreading. (Or at least it could be if I made more of a habit of typing “crap.”)

I guess frequency would become an issue with my theory. Jon, have you posted most of the examples you found, or is this just a sampling?

Last edited by patschwieterman (2008-03-12 13:18:28)

#5 2008-03-12 14:54:45

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

there’s also the typo pattern I sometimes make in which I repeat the pattern of letters-one word ends in “ap” so I type “ap”-this seems opposite order (you’d think I’d do “crack the wick”), but if “p” is making a big impact, mentally, I’ll end other words similarly.

Pat, I’m an expert typist – - well trained in touch typing, w/ peak speeds of 125 wpm. I am also, by profession, a copyeditor, with an instinctive sense of spelling and a decades-deep knowledge of the language, and usage, and grammar. Yet in the last 4 years, I’ve found myself typing “there” for “their” – - even when I sort of mentally say to myself, “t – h – e – i – r.” I’ve decided that it has to do w/ the “grooves” in the brain that make me a good touch typist.

Typists memorize groupings of letters as single bursts of nerve energy—that’s the only way to get fast. So sometimes I start off on one set of preset finger strokes, and the neurons just fire off automatically.

Last edited by TootsNYC (2008-03-13 09:41:52)

#6 2008-03-12 15:58:06

JonW719
Eggcornista

Well, doesn’t seem to be terribly widespread, though there were more examples than I listed. And “crapping the whip” brings up a few also, but some seem to be intentional. So I’m thinking maybe it really is just a slip o’ the fingers as Pat and TootsNYC suggested.

(Sometimes I’ll reread an e-mail I’ve sent off and am mortified by the mistakes (such as there vs. their) that I have let go.)

Board footer