Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-05-11 08:13:08

JonW719
Eggcornista

"Glamorest" for "most glamorous"

I was listening to an NPR program yesterday, and they were interviewing an upholsterer in New York. At one point the man said, “It’s not the glamorous job,” or perhaps “not the glamorest job,” but the way he spoke it, it was clear he meant, “It’s not the most glamorous job.” It was an interesting reshaping, and my ears immediately perked/pricked up and honed/homed in on it (sorry, couldn’t help referencing some of the eggcorn discussion words we’ve had here in recent months).

I suppose “fabulest” might be next?

Last edited by JonW719 (2008-05-12 10:20:35)

Feeling quite combobulated.

#2 2008-05-11 15:40:49

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: "Glamorest" for "most glamorous"

What I find fascinating about a slip like glamorous/glamorest is that the utterer is usually aware (immediately afterwards) that it is incorrect, but the slip presents itself because it follows an accepted grammatical pattern. So, although our mental filter would normally tell us that something is grammatically incorrect, we can be momentarily tricked by homophonic constructions.

I’ll have to think whether I’d label this alteration an eggcorn. There’s not much in the way of new imagery, and the utterer would still understand the old imagery if there were: that is, he would immediately recognize the slip if it were drawn to his attention. But it’s nice to see another gray area of the eggcorn subject explored.

Board footer