Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2012-08-20 23:22:35

David Bird
Eggcornista

"abhoriginal" for aboriginal

Aboriginals were, first, members of the founding tribes of Latium, which became the home of the Roman Empire. The original aboriginals were there either literally ab origine, “from the beginning”, or else the name assumed its present form through some sort of eggcorn mechanism. The mazy origins are described thus:

The Aborigines in Roman mythology are the oldest inhabitants of central Italy, connected in legendary history with Aeneas, Latinus and Evander. They were supposed to have descended from their mountain home near Reate (an ancient Sabine town) upon Latium, whence they expelled the Siceli and subsequently settled down as Latini under a King Latinus. The most generally accepted etymology of the name (ab origine), according to which they were the original inhabitants (autochthon) of the country, is inconsistent with the fact that the oldest authorities regarded them as Hellenic immigrants, not as a native Italian people. Other explanations suggested are arborigines, “tree-born,” and aberrigines, “nomads.” Lycophron calls a people of central Italy, Boreigonoi.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aborigines_(mythology)

The word came to be applied to any native peoples encountered during the European diaspora. I’m not sure whether the misspelling as abhoriginal is one more wheird phonesthetic h-insertion or is colored with abhor. The fhormer is most likely. I submit this word under slips on the occasion of the reception of my Canadian Métis Council – Intertribal identity card this week. I’m only one part First Nations out of eight, but they seem very tolerant.

Letters to the editor
Those guys are living in some prehistoric world of their own with some abhoriginal ideals of communism which has done nothing good

Football forum
Are Bugs Bunny cartoons featuring the savage Native American or the Savage Abhoriginal person from either Australia or Africa who responds to Bugs’ shenaningans with “Oooga booga ooga” while jumping up and down, spear in hand of course, racist?

Lost forum
she seemed rather archaic or abhoriginal to me.

Religion message board
It does not matter whether you are an abhorigine, cut off from the rest ofthe world for 20,000 to 40,000 years.

Board footer