Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-05-28 11:17:48

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"anchor" for "encore"

I fond about a dozen of these. A few examples:

“Definitely American Idol material,” Nathan and I look at each other before grinning and shouting, “Anchor anchor!” “No! No more!” Caleb begs …

You will hear the Ngbatis shouting “Anchor, Anchor” a sign to repeat the music again.

And we are so happy that our kids really enjoy the show..haha and keep shouting anchor…

... conclusion of this performance, brought to an abrupt termination, the audience were exceedingly demonstrative, recalling the performer and shouting anchor…

They anchor two songs right after they finished their performance as requested by the audience shouting ‘anchor’ but I have to stop them…

Note the two slightly different uses of “anchor” for “encore” in that last example.

I don’t see a plausible meaning connection to justify seeing this as an eggcorn. I do note there may be quite a few people for whom English is not their first language making this error, and here’s a quote that may shed some light on a source of the confusion:

the audience screamed for an encore (in Korean it just sounds like you’re shouting “Anchor! Anchor!”)

#2 2013-05-29 14:48:32

yanogator
Eggcornista

Re: "anchor" for "encore"

I think it’s just bad spelling. Many people in the US have no concept of how to spell French words.

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#3 2013-05-29 16:56:05

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

One of my favorite stories has to do with the premiere of a piece by John Cage (I believe it was) called Moto Perpetuo . It consisted of a rather boring little ditty played over and over again for several hours without stopping, until the pianist was very tired. At that point another pianist came in, slipped his fingers under those of the first pianist, and took over, continuing to play the ditty without a break. There were a whole team of pianists that played the piece, which lasted fifteen hours. Of course, the audience had all left in varying degrees of disgust long before, except for a few diehard music critics, and one wag who endured it all, just waiting for his chance. As the last note fell from the last pianist’s fingers and he rose to bow to what was left of the audience, this man jumped to his feet and shouted “Encore! Encore!”

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2013-05-29 16:57:27)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#4 2014-09-13 20:05:42

yanogator
Eggcornista

That’s great. I don’t know the piece, but it seems like it would be John Cage.

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#5 2014-09-13 20:32:04

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

I see it as one of the great examples of the triumph of the human spirit over [ … fill in the blank …].

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer