Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-09-21 09:17:07

kem
Eggcornista

remorse << remiss

More hens laying eggcorns outside the coop. 1 This time there are some real eggs in the nest.

(1) “I’d be remiss” turns in to “I’d be remorse.” About two dozen examples on the web.

(2) The explanation about “ends meet” is intriguing:

Growing up I thought the phrase “ends meet” was actually “end’s meat”. I assumed that the end of the meat was the cheapest cut, so I thought that the phrase referred to people who were in such dire straits that they couldn’t even afford “end’s meat.”

A second, similar confession is here.

But is there any non-confessional evidence? We do, it is true, have oodles of people writing “ends meat” for “ends meet.” They could just be poor spellers, though.

On the other hand, a lot of web pages do resort to the suggestive apostrophe. In this case, we would not only have to assume a misspelling, but also the addition of a greengrocer’s apostrophe. I’m beginning to think this might be a real eggcorn.

———————-
1 It is possible that the folks at The Dish, with 200 posts a week and 100K+ tweet followers, may think that WE are the wandering poultry.

Last edited by kem (2014-09-21 09:35:03)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2014-09-21 11:54:30

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: remorse << remiss

Making ends meat is a classic, having been sighted here, here, and here, and entered into the Database here.

There are simblings, about earning your supper, I think.

That year the fishing season was at a record low. a-lot of fisherman nearly went bankrupt, while others had to sell there boats to make inns meat!!!!!!!!!!!
UFO sighting

They all see how I’m struggling to make inns meat, to provide for them.
blog

Poor Don Bluth, however, has had to make due teaching animation at a college to make Inn’s meat.
horse film forum

Both her mother and father worked very hard to make inn’s meat.
role play

Also out there is making inns meet, but I couldn’t figure that one.

#3 2014-09-21 12:51:23

kem
Eggcornista

Oops. Forgot an essential step—check to see if it’s already in the Forum (in my defense, I did check “remiss”).

“Inn’s meat.” Excellent.

#4 2014-09-26 08:23:21

kem
Eggcornista

More user-reported “eggcorns” from the Dish: http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2014/09/ … orn-ctd-4/

Board footer