Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-07-27 06:14:49

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

piggy bag

Dixon’s break your piggy bank catch reminded me of this long-time favorite of mine:

[to waiter:] Could I have a piggy-bag to take that home in?

Either the picture of the pig waiting at home for the left-overs, or the diner himself as the pig, works for me. It’s a blend, and not an eggcorn: piggy and doggy sound and look too different for eggcorn status.
There are quite a few hits with piggy bag substituting for piggy-back. E.g.:

to piggy bag the development board onto another board (in case of development kit the SC14CVMDECT_DB is piggy bagged …

reducing the amount of rich snippets appearing in search results by 15% to combat the rise in black hat tactics that piggy-bag on authorship.

These could be construed, I suppose, to involve carrying the piggy-backed object in a bag, whether on the back or not, and might be eggcornish to that extent. I don’t know if the perps do this or not.
Piggy-back is apparently about four centuries old. Perhaps it is a folk-etymologic corruption of pick-a-back , which itself may be from pick-pack , or maybe not. This would be a folk-etymology that we would probably deny eggcorn status to on the grounds of it lacking sense: what have pigs got to do with anything? I as a kid tried to picture carrying a pig that way (on my back, with my arms under its legs), but the mind boggled, as they say. No self-respecting pig would put up with it!

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer