Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2018-01-18 19:59:15

David Bird
Eggcornista

On the fresh hold of a dream

Peter’s recent post on Mugabe’s erstwhile thiefdom and TH-fronting, got me curious. If f and th could form a swap team, could I use the feory to thind other interesting mutations? The one that immediately occurred to me to check was the very opaque threshold. It’s clearly got little to do with threshing, so what is it trying to express? An initial look showed that, what do you know, some do make the swap and design it a freshold.

My decision to stop drinking alcohol, over three-years ago, has no doubt improved the functioning of a liver, that at one point must have been at the freshold of conking out.
liver diet

The world yet stands on the freshold of understanding what they witnessed in him.
Michael Jackson worship:http://michaeljacksonchosenvoices.com/blessed-be-the-soul-made-visible/

Where did Beren lose his hand?
Answer: On the freshold of Angband where carcharoth bit it off and swallowed it.
Lord of the rings worship

All right, maybe this is just some sort of dialectical spelling. I decided I wouldn’t pursue it further if I couldn’t show it being made manifest in an actual fresh hold. Et voilà.

The people of that time were more advanced than we are today, they had space ships and for thousands of years they were at piece until darkness got in.
Seek and you shall find. After the wipe out of the lands the humans that survived started up the early Greeks and so on Then later an invasion of reptile race took control of this world and humanity has been in the dark ever since, and we are at the time where we are going to be set free, but we will need to help ourselves by waking up and take no notice of the crap spewed out by mindless media, so called education system and other parasites who want to keep you in the dark. the yeti or big foot or what ever each country calls these large creatures are the throw backs as they went backwards due to what happened, and here we are on the fresh hold and we need to wake up, because there are those who desire war and could throw us backward millions of years, if they are not stopped.
Atlantis worship

I was sat at the table without a care in the world eating away, but out of the corner of my eye I could see on the fresh hold of our two bed roomed flat that my grandma was in a huddle whispering away to my father. Alarm bells began to ring and I quietly placed my cutlery down knowing full well the opportunity to complete my meal to its full satisfaction was about to vanish before my eyes.
online fiction

we look enthusiastically towards the future. We stand on the fresh hold of a new day
gay rights

Interesting. It’s got a fresh hold on the threshold. A two bed roomed flat made me think of Pat’s six footed father.

#2 2018-01-19 15:51:47

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: On the fresh hold of a dream

Can’t believe we’d never turned over the clod that one was under. Congratulations, tocayo, it’s a butte.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2018-01-20 11:45:15

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

DavidTuggy wrote:

Congratulations, tocayo, it’s a butte.

Takes me back to the classic dialogue from an old Firesign Theater album:

Indian: And over there is our sacred mount.

White guy: It’s a beaut!

Indian: No, it’s a mount.

#4 2018-01-21 11:57:47

kem
Eggcornista

“Fresh hold” for “threshold.” Great eggcorn.

“Threshold” looks like it should come from “thresh” (old meaning is “tread on”) and “hold,” a shortening of “household.” The second half is a fabrication. But it does explain why I (and oodles of others) tend to spell “threshold” like “withhold” and put a double “h” in the middle (i.e. “threshhold”).

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#5 2018-01-21 15:23:43

David Bird
Eggcornista

Incidentally, I did check, but found only the following poignant mondegreen: “the fresh hole of your dreams”.

And when the crowd raws, rains of tears drop to the Roadies …
I’m standing at the fresh hole of your dreams,
Without me there would be no sound from those amps,
Without me there would be no light on the stage,
But you don’t applause for me.
lyrics site

#6 2018-01-21 17:23:46

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

David Bird wrote:

“the fresh hole of your dreams”.

I’m reminded of these lines from Bob Dylan’s “Gates Of Eden”: