Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2018-02-05 13:58:17

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

disemboweled < disembodied

Just ran across this again after a several-year hiatus. Not an eggcorn, I think (though disemboweling a person is likely to disembody them), but entertaining nonetheless.

[I have] waited over 7 minutes to be connected to a ‘call centre’ I don’t want to pay to listen to some disemboweled voice droning on about your services.

He is also falling in love with a disemboweled voice the whole time. Yet he makes this completely real for us in the audience.

Through what seemed like a haze, Harrick listened to the bailiff’s disemboweled voice. “Mr. Clark, will you raise your right hand? Do you swear to tell the truth,

Perhaps the last example might have overtones of dispassionate or unreal-sounding or unconnected to any feeling or something: the bailiff was presumably there in the flesh. The connection of the bowels with deep-felt passion is a very old one, spanning many linguistic families (cf. e.g. the Biblical “bowels of mercy”). And, if you stretch it enough, you could take that sort of connection as eggcornish justification for all the listed usages, I suppose.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2018-02-05 14:16:44)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2018-02-05 15:32:51

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: disemboweled < disembodied

Funny! And skirts eggcorn territory, agreed. Another that is mostly or all malaprop, I thought to myself, or so I thought:

Why me? Is it… Is it because I have the Power Primate? Because I’m a hero? I thought to myself, or so I thought.
“Humans discriminate against the strangest things,” a disembroiled voice said from the shadows. “Wouldn’t you agree, Chiro?”
Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go! fanfic

#3 2018-02-05 15:51:02

burred
Eggcornista

187 raw hits for a dismembered voice.

The Recurring Dream is an immersive one-on-one installation piece that seeks to explore what makes a performance truly personal to the audience. “Lying on a bed, a dismembered voice speaks out to the dreamer, describing a profoundly personal dream and how it’s affected them.”
fb casting call

The effect seems to be loss of members. I get that it’s lying on the bed, being dismembered and all. It continues:

Transforming RR3 into a world of child like wonder and ethereal joy with alternative modes of lighting and objects of the everyday. Centering the piece on a bed, Recurring Dream shall seek to create a liminal sense of reality and fantasy. By using such an interesting sceneographic approach, Recurring Dream shall seek to give the space itself it’s own distinct character.

Cinegraphic?

#4 2018-02-05 18:24:07

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

You find the best stuff, Tocayo!

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer