Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2005-11-08 22:13:16

klakritz
Eggcornista

'preambulator' for 'perambulator'

Users of this eggcorn have been taken in by the natural idea that a perambulator- a baby carriage- transports an infant before he can walk, i.e., an infant in a ‘pre-ambulatory’ state. About 300 ghits. Examples:

Lisa has a great set of wheels! Certainly different than the ones we used to have! By the way, ‘pram’ is short for preambulator.
rob.rpmdp.com/pivot/entry.php?uid=standard-54

Remember, JK Rowling wrote between the time her daughter Was asleep in the
preambulator and when she could grab 5 minutes.
www.fmwriters.com/community/dc/dcboard. php?az=printer_friendly&forum=19&topic_id=2088

The Importance of Being Earnest (1895),Summary: ...
Miss Prism confesses that She put The manuscript of a novel on which She had been working in The preambulator and had placed The baby in a hand-bag …
www.fogazzaro.it/fogazzaro3/alunni/lavori/ inglese/wilde/THE%20IMPORTANCE%20OF%20BEING%20EARNEST.HTML

preambulator means a baby cart somnambulating means sleepwalking from the Latin
verb ambulare, to walk …
www.electrical.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. php?p=14091&sid=aaffe38cd37885fff2e021ce545d5b8a

The Child Security device is a mirror that fastens to the shade of a preambulator.
www.inet.is/entry/verdlaunahugm/barnaoryggi.html

Board footer