Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-11-16 07:19:31

jorkel
Eggcornista

FLOCKulate

Google counts on Nov 16, 2006
146,000 flocculate
51 flockulate—eggcorn?

A floccule {LL flocculus} is a loosely aggregated bit of material. The aggregated nature may conjure up the notion of a flock, with etymology: {ME. fr. OE flocc crowd, band; akin to ON flokkr crowd, band}. I don’t necessarily think that “flockulate” is the best manifestation of this potential eggcorn, but it has the least amibiguity about intent. I do not know whether it is just a misspelling, but even so, the utterer sees the base word “flock” and probably believes it to be correct.

Examples:

Ag pipe with geotextile sock – Page 2 – Woodwork ForumsPeople have mentioned the use of gypsum before , what that does is make the dispersed clay particle cling together and form lumps ( flockulate ) and then …
www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showth … 275&page=2 – 122k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Mailgate: sci.geo.hydrology: Re: Removal of arsenic from Groundwater… it through Iron – oxides / hydroxides , better even flockulate or coprecipitate the Iron oxides / hydroxides in the water ( container , tank , eg . ...
mailgate.supereva.com/sci/sci.geo.hydrology/msg01004.html – 7k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Yahoo! Answers – If a child lost the white color to their teeth a …... mean it has dissolved elements in it such as iron and sulfides bore water is the same until it is aerated and these components flockulate and drop out . ...
answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060925200041AAF0Kns – 72k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

:: View topic – R1800 + Continuous Ink in the UK?I have a nasty feeling that my yellow is actually ’ off ’ – and may have started to precipitate out or flockulate , so I ’ m going to order some new stuff …
www.photo-i.co.uk/BB/viewtopic.php?p=65 … 153bb408ec – 74k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Silver halide emulsions comprising hexagonal monodisperse tabular …... a flockulation agent and a 1 N nitric acid solution were added to the mixture to flockulate an emulsion at pH 4.0, which was washed with water. ...
www.freepatentsonline.com/4797354.html – 104k – Cached – Similar pages

#2 2018-05-06 23:34:13

kem
Eggcornista

Re: FLOCKulate

A Merriam-Webster word of the day this week addressed this confusion that Joe noted so long ago:

In the late 16th century, scientists noticed that the loose masses separated from a solution or suspension through precipitation often resembled tufts of wool, and they began to refer to them as flocks, using a word for “tufts” that comes ultimately from the synonymous Latin word floccus. (This flock is not related to the flock that refers to a group of animals, which comes from Old English flocc, meaning “crowd” or “band.”) About two centuries later, the Late Latin term flocculus found its way into English and was also used with the meaning “a small loosely aggregated mass.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer