Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-06-15 15:33:45

klakritz
Eggcornista

'sort of Damocles' for 'sword of Damocles'

Right after notiicng this one, I discovered that I had been anticipated by one of our more prolific contributors by about 5 years. It’s surely a sign of encroaching senility when you start plagiarizing yourself but , anyway, it’s a cute and forgotten eggcorn, so I’m re-posting it.

MAN: It’s something we’re aware of and you know, it’s not nice to have this sort of Damocles over your head, but I mean we were more than delighted …
www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/transcripts/2418avalanche.html

They were just moving on with their lives and that sort of Damocles is how it’s going to come back.
www.antimusic.com/morley/08/CyCurnin.shtml

So this sort of Damocles is held over the heads of the utilities.
www.aidea.org/BoardMaterials/.../AIDEA% … 20Mins.pdf

... and considering it’s pretty much the only thing keeping their head above water it seems like a sort of damocles hanging over the head of the track, ...
search.cga.state.ct.us/dtsearch.asp?cmd…5531…

You know, you’ve got a stick hanging over people’s head, a sort of damocles, with all kinds of threats and it’s a terrible position to put people in.
search.cga.state.ct.us/dtsearch.asp?cmd…5545…

Anyone would do that, any ordinary, normal person with that sort of Damocles hanging over their heads would respond in exactly the same way. ...
www.ericsams.org/interview.htm -

#2 2010-06-20 10:56:20

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: 'sort of Damocles' for 'sword of Damocles'

The thread by which the sword hangs is another component of Damocles’ plight. It can get tangled up with the threat that the sword represents. At least I think that’s what’s going on in the following.

How to stack firewood
We don’t want the water up there either because its like the Sword of Damocles hanging as a threat over our drying wood.

Sermon
the context of exile hanging as a threat over one’s head

EXCITED BLOG COMMENT
senior, babies with deformanty will not survive. Our life is hanging by a threat in the hands of a DICTATOR” SAY NO TO THIS NATIONAL HEALTH CARE IT DID NOT WORK IN FRANCE OR SPAIN

India Today forum
We have now realised the fact that this sword of terrorism is ever hanging as a threat to the world’s peace and brotherhood

BTW, “a sort of Damocles” is wonderfully strange.

#3 2010-06-23 18:24:59

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: 'sort of Damocles' for 'sword of Damocles'

I’ll second David B’s verdict on this as “wonderfully strange”—I’d love to ask users what sense they make of this one. I’m glad Ken rehabilitated this—I had no memory of it.

I think this is one of those Lehmann’s terms that aren’t technically eggcorns. For me, Damocles needs a sword over his head before he’s an icon of threat.

Board footer