Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2016-04-16 11:25:45

pwoodford
Website

Lobbied for lobbed

“Often the complaint is lobbied that millennials seem to want extraneous congratulation for simply doing their jobs.” From a post at Unfogged (http://www.unfogged.com/archives/week_2 … tml#015329).

On On,
Paul Woodford
Paul’s Thing

#2 2016-04-17 09:45:52

kem
Eggcornista

Re: Lobbied for lobbed

An interesting eggcorn. There are several instances of it on the web. It also occurs in the active, which is a good sign that it is an eggcorn and not just a misspelling.

Almost everything that we lob is tangible (bombs, grenades, balls, stones). I can’t think of anything metaphorical or ideational that we lob. Except complaints, and even that is rare—“lobbed a complaint” is not a common expression. I wonder: Does “lodge a complaint” figure into the mix? Is it possible that “lob a complaint at” got started as a malapropic version of “lodge a complaint against?” Other things that that we lodge are claims and cases, and both of these are echoed by a few examples of the lob version (i.e., “lob a case,” “lob a claim”).

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2016-04-17 18:10:01

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

kem wrote:

...”lobbed a complaint” is not a common expression.

Indeed. I’d never seen nor heard it until this thread. I had to infer from the context that the acorn is “lobbed a complaint”. I assume it’s a regional dialectical difference.

I wonder: Does “lodge a complaint” figure into the mix?

Bingo! That’s the one I’m familiar with.

Is it possible that “lob a complaint at” got started as a malapropic version of “lodge a complaint against?”

That would be my guess too, especially since the Google Ngram shows “lodge a complaint” and “lodged a complaint” from about 1760 while not finding “lob a complaint” or “lobbed a complaint” at all.

QUESTION for those of you well-versed in the Ngram: This Ngram page shows a note saying “Search for “lodged a complaint” yielded only one result. Search for “lodge a complaint” yielded only one result”, along with a graph showing varying incidences of both phrases over many years. If they only found one result for each phrase, how can they draw a graph with lines like that? Wouldn’t there only be a single point for each phrase, instead of a line, if they only found one result for each? This has happened to me several times, and I’m puzzled.

Last edited by Dixon Wragg (2018-02-15 03:50:03)

#4 2016-04-18 01:06:17

kem
Eggcornista

This Ngram page shows a note saying “Search for “lodged a complaint” yielded only one result.

I’m not seeing this message on your link, Dixon. It would be a strange thing to say: Ngram won’t even graph an expression unless it finds at least 40 examples in its database.

You might want to try using some some of the Ngram tags in your searches. The one I used to look for “lodge a complaint” was “lodge_INF DET complaint” Here is what you get when you graph this expression.

To see the various determiners included in DET, do this search.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#5 2016-05-03 20:29:25

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

kem wrote:

I’m not seeing this message on your link, Dixon.

Neither am I now! But it was there before, and this has happened to me a number of times with Ngram.

It would be a strange thing to say: Ngram won’t even graph an expression unless it finds at least 40 examples in its database.

I know! That’s why I mentioned it.

You might want to try using some some of the Ngram tags in your searches. The one I used to look for “lodge a complaint” was “lodge_INF DET complaint” Here is what you get when you graph this expression.
To see the various determiners included in DET, do this search.

Thanks for the tips, kem.

#6 2018-02-15 04:21:05

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Tonight I heard a guy in a video say “lobbied softballs”, which led me to a number of online examples. I thought I might start a new thread to discuss this eggcorn, but the requisite pre-posting search yielded this old thread that I’ve already weighed in on and forgotten about. Anyway, here are some of the new examples:

justin trudeau says he will not lecture president trump. lobbying soft balls. questions about multiple controversies facing the administration were noticeably absent from the news conference.
news archive

The CNN and FOX NEWS questioning of these losers is to ,say the least, pathetic..there are no issues the mediators DON’T tend to “lobby soft balls” at.
blog

oh, crap, why did I spend 1hr watching Van Susteren*lobby softballs* to Palin?
tweet

Haha, see how it works, anyone can lobby softballs from the bleachers… careful Mark, Careful.
blog

She took 10 hours of Benghazi, she can handle this. Trump isn’t going lobby softballs. Might as well get the practic in.
discussion

For what it’s worth, neither Bill O’Reilly nor Larry King host legitimate news shows, at least by the time-tested standards of lobbying softballs to sympathetic guests.
blog

Even after lobbying softballs, Matt Lauer supposedly presented a problem for posing ONE real question… WTF?
news report

Last edited by Dixon Wragg (2018-02-15 04:40:38)

Board footer