Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2017-02-12 15:29:02

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"reknown" << "renown(ed)"

Here is a slight variation on a substitution that’s in our Database.

I saw this on the internet, and was wondering if this might be a reknown person, who got photoshopped?
knitter chitchat

It was name after Mr. J. C., who probably was a reknown person in the area.
discussion

Just because a race doesnt have a reknown person of said class, doesnt mean the race as a whole cant have that class.
gamer talk

LAL MALHI a reknown person of HINDU community in UMERKOT joins PTI and will support SMQ on NA228
Pakistani politics

A young American ballet dancer, Suzy (Jessica Harper), moves to Germany to join a reknown ballet academy.
movie synopsis

I want to begin my article with a reknown person showing a great devotion to the technology and culture, graduated from Harvard University in a B.A degree in History and Literature.
academic paper

I have seen though that if a reknown person complains to a head of the telemarketing company about an employee whose cals had caused repeated disturbances, it can lead to eviction from the job of that employee.
telemarketing discussion

It’s unclear how many of these perps would pronounce reknown like renown and how many would pronounce it like re+known. Of course, the answers to that question would have implications as to possible meaning connections.

#2 2019-01-27 03:32:35

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: "reknown" << "renown(ed)"

A slight variation from the above:
“Renown” is accepted as a noun by all dictionaries and as a verb by some, but it’s not an adjective. This doesn’t stop many folks from using it adjectivally.

They are common on hair and renown for the inability to wash/remove them on first attempt.
definition

I wrote a piece (to describe a building) that was described as “it is a very nice writing” by a renown person.
discussion

Being a renown person in society comes with a price tag which is hard work.
tea leaf twaddle

Even though Newton is still such a renown person in history, in his early life he had to go through some difficulties.
essay

This community event traditionally includes an alumnae speaker, a keynote address from a renown person of color, student performances, an essay contest, and more.
event description

An example of a renown person is someone being recognized by everyone who sees them in public.
poorly-written dictionary

I note that, in all of my examples, “renown” could be replaced with either “renowned” or “known” and it’d make sense. I’m guessing that at least some perps are thinking that “renown”, even without the letter k, is a form of the verb “to know”. This would be an eggcorn. I’d love to hear this usage rather than just reading it, to see if some folks might pronounce “renown” like re + known. That would clinch it.

Board footer