Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2017-09-25 17:40:15

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

relegate < regulate (etc.)

Revelant to some of the r/l confusions we’ve been noticing, one half of the regulate / relegate confusion is already in the forum in the form regulate < relegate
For the round trip (if it was documented above or elsewhere on the forum I did not catch it):

The gates just relegate the flow of chakra, they don’t dictate how you use it. Sauske could benefit from opening the gates

Each of our meridians serves to relegate the flow of energy throughout the body, and a practitioner must be as knowledgeable about this flow

Today’s faucets have a cartridge assembly inside the handle and two valves that relegate the flow of water through the spout.

(I am sure there are other relevant phrases beyond “relegate the flow” out there, but I didn’t have the ingenuity to find them quickly.)
Relegate is also used to mean reduce or diminish in many usages (whether with “to NounPhrase” or without it):

Will the Premier League’s TV Windfall Relegate the FA Cup? WHAT THE PAPERS SAY.

Elevate or relegate? The relative importance of mathematics.

Then why does Obama relegate, The Great Senator Wellstone to a “gadfly”

I cannot relegate the God of the universe to being a mere prop.

And, “replace” (probably “relegate to oblivion by more-than-adequately replacing” and/or “reduce completely to nothing”):

The new sticker relegates the magnet products which stick on refregerator, car… and so on. It can be sticked and unsticked anywhere, everywhere.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2017-09-25 18:52:29)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer