Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2017-11-03 12:49:24

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'so posed to' for 'supposed to"

I keep hearing ‘supposed to be’ as ‘so posed to be’ on radio, dopy soaps and some street speech. No doubt for many this is no more than a spelling mistake, but since it can be construed along the lines of something like ‘arranged in such a manner that’, then perhaps some users may be using it eggcornishly.

But in my case its more like ” If you wake up in the morning and all you can think about is Painting, then girl you so posed to be a “Painter” Fine …

I purchased what was so-posed to be a pure copper bracelet after wearing the bracelet for a few months i noticed the copper color started Waring away and …

My family is caring because my mom is so posed to be my mom and my dad is so posed to be my dad.

... a negative value so i am assuming it is negative infinity. that is what the answer is so posed to be, but did i do it how its so posed to be done?

#2 2017-11-03 14:04:55

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Re: 'so posed to' for 'supposed to"

Sean William Scott has so passed my expectations of him after American Pie

the trip was so amazing and it so passed my expectations.

A nice but rare reworking of “surpassed”. The pronunciation is close enough. I would have expected more hits for this.

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#3 2017-11-03 22:22:12

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Nice! (Both)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#4 2017-11-04 22:42:17

yanogator
Eggcornista

For “so posed”, I don’t think the users actually have that careful a meaning in mind, but I do agree it’s not merely a misspelling.

“So passed” is fun. I’m not sure it is exactly an eggcorn, because of sharing “passed”, and “so” not being far from the meaning of the prefix, but it still definitely belongs here.

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

Board footer