Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2018-01-13 16:45:45

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"guideons/guideans bible"

The Gideons International, an organization named after a Biblical figure, provides free Bibles to hotels and motels.

Generally they are either hellholes, or ideal home exhibition fodder so pristine and odiously unfriendlly you’d expect to find a guideons bible in the bedside drawer.
blog

What if the guideans had not left a Bible for Rocky?
levity

Oh ya, the hotel had a guideans bible.
religious discussion

If desired donations to the Diabetes Association, Heart & Stroke Foundation or to Guideons Bible would be appreciated.
obit

I ran in to a guideons bible member and he handed me 30 spanish bibles.
blog

There are quite a few of these online. Is it just a misspelling, or are people assuming a connection with “guidance”? I think the latter is likely to be the case in some percentage of these. Thus I’m calling it an eggcorn.

#2 2018-01-15 14:35:48

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "guideons/guideans bible"

It may just be a misspelling. English words beginning with “gi” are more or less split between those whose “g” is soft (“giant”) and those whose “g” is hard (“girl”). One way to reinforce the hard “g” is to spell it with a silent “u” (as in “guide,” “guilty”). My guess is that many of these “guideons” represent some confusion about how to handle the spelling of a hard “g.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer