Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2018-05-15 03:23:17

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'bagwagon' for 'bandwagon'

Ken Lakritz suggested bangwagon back in 2005, evoking backfiring jalopies from early films; knackered old cars are still called bangers. I’d add this there, but there’s no way of accessing those early, venerable entries.
This variant has, to me at least, something of the carpetbagger about it, giving it the odd leg, or preferably wheel.

I wish people would educate themselves on other lifetsyles rather than jump on the bagwagon and follow the rest of the sheep/society.

– you may think its not a big deal. and it isnt. but people out there love this stuff they jump on the bagwagon and they go for whatever is biggest as …

Looking to jump on the bagwagon of being a band with twins in are Forty Four Hours.

Well if you don’t jump on the bag wagon soon, the Windows 10 takeover is not going to mesh well with any Act! version below Act! V18.

Once Carol got started making the mats, everyone jumped on the bagwagon.

#2 2018-05-15 22:52:58

Eoin

Re: 'bagwagon' for 'bandwagon'

I was thinking of baggage carts, like at the airport.

Last edited by Eoin (2018-05-15 22:53:25)

#3 2018-05-24 10:24:35

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

I was thinking of baggage carts…

Now you’ve got me thinking of them too. There’s an 18th century folk song called Dollia , with the lines, “Dolly Coxon’s pawned her shirt/ to ride upon the baggage cart.” (Shirt and cart can rhyme in some northern dialects.) The song appears to be about the delights of being a camp follower, which could have made ‘jumping on the bagwagon’ a fine acorn for an eggcornish ‘bandwagon’ variant. No evidence of course.
Here’s a link to bit more information on military baggage carts, should it be of interest. www.royalscotsgrenadiers.com/cf.html

#4 2018-06-04 10:50:14

kem
Eggcornista

The other side of the compound gets its moment in the eggcorn sun with “bandwagging.” There are 2 or 3 web examples of “on the bandwagging:”

Reply to a tweet:”: https://twitter.com/JamieMcdonnell1/sta … 4363468800 “I think you’ve taken the easy way by jumping on the bandwagging of Matchroom”

Sports forum post:”: http://www.uibhfhaili.com/phpbb3/viewto … 1&start=15 “what annoys me is when the minors won everyone jumped on the bandwagging and had their say about the match even though many werent there”

While checking out the noun “bandwagging,” I noticed that a few people also use it as the verb for “to get on a bandwagon.” Presumably this verb should be “bandwagoning.” The lack of any stable verb form for “wagon” perhaps pushes these users toward the verb “wag.”

Web forum post: “I think the nerds that people seem to hate lately are the kind that are bandwagging on this trend that addiction to consumerism that panders to them is ok.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer