Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2019-01-16 16:12:14

David Bird
Eggcornista

"Junk start" for jump start

I saw this beaut on r/boneappletea. A junk start would be needed to reanimate that piece of junk you call a car. Or maybe it’s just a crappy way to start anything.

If you need a tow, a junk start, flat tire change or even a unlock! Give me a call
fb ad

dear KAKA,
thanks you for gave a junk start for the charmis cold engine…
blog comment

all the way with OX ……LET GO SEN JOE ……. I WANT YOU TO JUNK START DE THING …!!!!!!!!
calypso showdown

I am personally asking God – 40 000 fasts : 1-40 days – 40 000 hours of prayers – 400 sums
To bring God down so that we have the momentum to fill the earth.
To junk start us
Praise the Lord!
Fasting crusade

See also the simbling junk drive << jump drive

#2 2019-01-20 06:02:41

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: "Junk start" for jump start

David Bird wrote:

...To junk start us…
Fasting crusade

Must be a reference to the traditional junk food binge with which they ring in the fasting crusade. And by “ring in”, I mean onion rings.

#3 2019-01-24 18:06:41

kem
Eggcornista

An eggcorn, a very palpable eggcorn.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#4 2022-03-17 04:04:41

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Not everyone carries jump-leads and a far more common sight is two or three folk pushing a car with a flat battery. When some reasonable momentum is reached the driver, who has the clutch pressed down and is in second gear, suddenly releases said clutch and with a jerk the engine fires and the car tootles off, driver waving mad thanks.
(We speak here only of cars with manual drive.)

The only hope would be 6 burly blokes to push it from rest whilst in 3rd/4th gear to jerk start it?

... his stranded lorry and instead got back into the cab, intending to jerkstart the engine of his tractor unit and thereby to drag the trailer clear.

Push start. If the battery isn’t completely dead or flat and has some life in it then simply jerk-start it by engaging a gear and getting a …

#5 2022-04-07 10:02:23

David Bird
Eggcornista

Currious, just experianced the joy of a dead Jeep battery. I fought charging it for 2-3 days and finally chump started it.
owner forum

Only a chump would need a boost instead of just turning the key. Uniquorn, unfortunately. I think Peter’s ‘jerk start’ got me looking for this.

Last edited by David Bird (2022-04-07 10:03:19)

#6 2022-04-08 10:55:19

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Uniquorn, unfortunately.

I’m tempted to adopt it. In the context, though, maybe the chumpiness was in fighting the charging? (The same thing as fighting the charges, right?)
“The battry wouldn’t bat, so I chust chump-started it.”

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer