Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2019-04-08 16:14:45

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

bury < burrow

Reuniting some long-estranged cousins, perhaps, but still:

I lightly turn my head from side to side, the grit and pine straw continue to bury deeper into my scalp

Relatively small changes in moisture content of the soil, temperature and humidity can be crucial, as they may cause adults to bury deeper into the soil

giving rise to inflammation and suppuration, the pus having a tendency to bury deeper into the tissue unless drainage is established.

They are often exposed to mechanical disturbances (like wave, currents, storms) forcing them to bury deeper into the sediment to get a better foothold.

to escape her own creation, she has to bury deeper into the sand underneath and pop up on the other side of the snail-sized casing

Blending with “bury yourself” (/“bury your face”, etc.) is probably going on as part of this.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2019-04-11 13:00:53)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2019-04-14 11:38:20

kem
Eggcornista

Re: bury < burrow

Good find. “Bury” for “burrow” may be a relection of their relative frequencies.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer