Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2019-05-16 07:57:26

David Bird
Eggcornista

"Near-do-well" for ne'er-do-well

I can conceive of the genesis of this altered version through the canonical route of Things you read and understood but mispronounced in your mind. I first heard ne’er-do-well pronounced as “near-do-well” in a youtube account of the last days of Jim Morrison. There are more than 100 hits for near-do-wells on google. If it is an eggcorn for a ne’er-do-well, the modified sense might be of someone who falls short of doing well. It is a weak substitute, admittedly, for someone who never does well.

“That’s nice, Bayonne, New Jersey. Irving don”t we know somebody from Bayonne” meaning well at least your father is not a jobless near-do-well like my Irving. My father acknowledged that he had a friend who once worked in the naval depot in Bayonne during the war, meaning, I may be a near-do-well, jobless preson, but I know people who led successful lives and worked.
autobiography

The husband is a professional gambler by the name of Bradford Linley. He was a near-do-well from outside the the Byrd’s social circle.
online western

In short he was a near do well, a drunk, a womanizer and a steady visitor to the city jail.
biography

A lonely young orphaned girl is taken in by an Uncle who lives in a large house with his housekeeper and near-do-well son.
book review

#2 2019-05-16 17:38:35

yanogator
Eggcornista

Re: "Near-do-well" for ne'er-do-well

I can see it as a definite eggcorn, one step up from a ne’er-do-well. Next step up is an almost-do-well, then a barely-do-well. :)

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#3 2019-05-30 11:03:33

kem
Eggcornista

My head explodes. Ah, if I’d only had that eggcorn before I wrote the book…

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#4 2019-05-31 17:32:02

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Bruce, the rare-do-well and the half-do-well fit in there south of the near-do-well.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#5 2019-05-31 20:08:56

yanogator
Eggcornista

David,
It’s a good thing that half- and rare-do-well don’t exist (yet, of course), because they would eventually lead to a never-do-well, perpetrated by a person totally oblivious to the origin of all of this. ;)

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#6 2019-06-01 05:38:16

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Good point. (Btw I just ran across, and loved, the spelling obilvious . Self-referential stupidities are the best!)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#7 2019-11-14 11:58:09

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Such near misses are often aimed at sybaritic prodigals, and perhaps it may indeed be difficult to live a simple praiseworthy life while being tormented by the imminent arrival of great wealth.

I was a yearbook editor, ran cross country, was on the tennis team (varsity- 4 years), drama- played a sailor in South Pacific, an heir-do-well drunk playboy in …

... and they were not the only ones in the hunt on the 5th of September the star named its prime suspect an heir do well known as leather apron …

Lucy is not an heir do well living in a box under a bridge he’s an American citizen paying payroll taxes and paying property taxes …

... to him you’re nothing but pirates and rebels who become notorious for your wicked deeds you want to rescue your brother an heir do well like …

(I’m unable to provide whole sentences – on each above example I get ‘page loading’ but it never does. I fear the arrival of one of my inadvertent absences.)

#8 2019-11-24 23:29:49

kem
Eggcornista

An heir-do-well. Wonderful. And another n-borrower.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer