Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2019-09-07 09:05:01

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Little Red Robbing Hood

At breakfast today our granddaughter Kelly had just drunk a good café con leche, and was speaking too fast to be readily understood. Our daughter (Heidi) laughed and said she sounded like Twitchy. Since my wife and I are woefully ignorant of such culturally important matters, she had to explain to us that Twitchy is a character from a movie, which she described as a whodunit cartoon that is a take-off on “Little Red Robbing Hood”, and that Twitchy is a squirrel who talks too fast, especially when he drinks coffee.
Heidi confirmed that she had mixed up on her mind and/or tongue Little Red Riding Hood, Robin Hood , and the notion of robbing coming from the crime scene scenario. The idea of hoodlums , like as not hoodlums robbing in the _’hood_ , was likely there as well, I figure, and she agrees it seems likely.
It wasn’t till later that I realized that the movie is, appropriately enough, entitled Hoodwinked .
A lot of these connections were probably intentional, pun-like, for the writers of the movie script. It was inadvertent for Heidi, and eggcorn-like in that way, though it is not standard for her, as a good eggcorn should be.
It obviously incorporates Robbing Hood but is an independent attestation of it rather than derived from it, I am sure.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer