Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2021-05-16 15:15:12

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

roundabout < turnaround

Fox News headline and article:

Fauci defends CDC’s roundabout on mask mandates amid confusion from new guidance […] the agency drew a sharp rebuke for its roundabout on the matter of face coverings; less than two months ago, CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky warned of “impending doom” as COVID-19 cases began to rise again.

Nearly the same wording appeared again the next day ―the phase had been edited but this lexical choice was not changed in the process:

The CDC drew a sharp rebuke for its roundabout on the matter of face coverings; less than two months ago, Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky warned of “impending doom” as COVID-19 cases began to rise again.

Certainly looks to me like a (malapropistically motivated) blend (of a surprising and ∴ interesting type) of turnaround and turnabout and perhaps about face . Of course, a roundabout can be a good place to turn around, when you’re driving, much like a turnaround can be.
There are other examples:

He did a quick roundabout to see if anyone was there with him, but saw no one. Was he just hearing things maybe? “Hello?” He asked

She did a quick roundabout. She flipped forward, and pushed off hard when her hand touched the ground.

Two Japanese planes targeted the Pyro and strafed her with bullets; one did a roundabout and flew low over the ship, dropping a bomb.

Jana did a quick roundabout and saying “sorry” and after two seconds of shock, I felt myself running after my friend

Others mean something more circuitous:

Lamar showed up this afternoon at the Spadina Avenue store and did a quick roundabout of handshakes.

We did a quick roundabout to see some of the flea market, caught a brief tango performance in the square – which was great – and then headed to the Abasto …

Is there a way in my builder to toggle serializeFields or do I have to do a roundabout way where I define some values in a static class

The use of roundaboutation to mean avoidance of giving a straight answer, usually with some degree of intent to deceive, may be active in the first quoted set of examples. This and these ( a & b ) are also at least tangentially relevant.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2021-05-17 14:46:29)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer