Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2021-06-13 10:13:00

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

a hunkering for/after

(See also https://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/vie … php?id=206 and http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … p?pid=8410 )
This morning my brother-in-law (concuño in Spanish, not cuñado, for what that’s worth, and he’s from NJ) came out with this one:

we would get a hunkering for this particular kind of popsicles

(Both he and his wife ―my cuñada― said they use the word but felt unsure about it, and when I mentioned the hankering pronunciation immediately recognized it and thought that must have been what they were thinking of. I also find I have hunkering recorded from years ago from another brother-in-law ―this one a cuñado―, from SC).
It could easily be a blend of hungering with hankering , but somehow the idea of hunkering down over some treat that you are perhaps a little bit ashamed to be seen enjoying so well does not go amiss. A hunch might be involved in there somehow as well―hunches and hankerings both being slight inclinations towards something, an idea in the one case and a taste in the other. Other examples:

After our entire day of relaxing on Tuesday, we woke up on Wednesday with a hunkering for some action.

I discovered this place by accident one even while I had a hunkering for pizza.

Morning Star Farms makes “Fake” versions of just about any kind of meat you might have a hunkering after.

They are not hunkering after money. They know how to be satisfied. Have you seen the sweet smile of a poor beggar after taking his meal?

Indonesian generals are hunkering after a military solution to the refusal of Aceh rebels to accept Javanese rule.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2021-06-13 11:12:48)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2021-06-28 13:18:02

kem
Eggcornista

Re: a hunkering for/after

The “hungering” connection makes a lot of sense.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer