Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2021-07-18 05:21:54

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

hang by a hare’s breath

The Database entry for hare’s breath (a first class double eggcorn which I had forgotten but just ran across again) lists as its first example

A poorly made soldered joint for example may appear to be satisfactory at the fill pressure, and detection will only be possible if the pressure is raised. Such a joint is often said to be ‘hanging by a hare’s breath’, and needs additional pressure to expose the fault. (Marley Plumbing and Drainage)

Interesting idiom blend going on there, on top of the eggcorn: hang by a hair(/thread) hooks up with hair’s/hare’s breadth/breath . Google does not give a lot of other examples of “hanging by a hare”, and a number of them are purposeful puns:

Buy Hanging by a Hare art prints by Ralph Slatton at Imagekind.com. Shop Thousands of Canvas and Framed Wall Art Prints and Posters at Imagekind. [Print looks like dead rabbits hanging]

Hanging by a Hare// Starter for Vikingsylph. It was almost 4 o’clock in Wonderland. Hare had just put the last plate on the table.

but this jewel showed up:

Mar 10, 1975 — ... -The women’s and children’s apparel industry here, while not quite hanging by a hare thread, has fallen into the worse slump in years. (Hanover Evening Sun Newspaper Archives, Mar 10, 1975, p. 7)

I guess they meant a hare hair? (or a hair-thread?)
Unsurprisingly, there are many more “hanging by a hair’s breadth”:

Information from the family of DR Theoneste Niyitegeka indicates that his life is hanging by a hair’s breadth after he was thoroughly beaten

time and again I felt that I was hanging by a hair’s breadth and clinging for dear life on the edges of all kinds of strange cliffs

and so forth.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2021-07-20 09:43:28)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer