Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2021-12-06 11:43:05

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'wise and where force' for 'whys and wherefores'

Wherefore is rarely found without why these days. Generations of school kids think it just a fancy way of saying ‘where’ and assume Juliet must have particularly poor eyesight as she strives to discern her Romeo, a bare dozen feet away.
I confess I think this is probably machine translation, but I like it anyway.

... anything at all about the wise and where force of CBT yes maybe now is the time to enhance your career …

... and where are the satellites the wise and where satellites the wise and where force the way is in force …

And I don’t wanna sit around talking about the what is wise and where force of political and current events …

So we want you to leave the retreat having a really deep understanding of your condition and the wise and where force …

#2 2021-12-06 22:18:01

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: 'wise and where force' for 'whys and wherefores'

Bazeer. As you say, likely a machine transcription.
How about this one?

this essay will discuss why and where force of this Trend and explain why I think it is not acceptable thing.

I even wrote a paper, entitled ‘The why and where force of the. Military Build-up in Indian Ocean’.

you’re allowed to speak what kind of things you’re allowed to say about other people and why and where force and there’s books upon this.

So, for some of you, I know you’re going through some hard things I do not understand the why and where force of a lot of the hard things

[It is not the case that we are ?] called to understand the why and where force of everything that happens teach us that you truly are our guiding force and our partner in our lives. that …

Makes a little more sense for me. But there don’t seem to be a lot of them, and several are suspectable of being machine-transcribed or non-native-speaker-authored.
NB, is that what people mean when they say “susceptible of being Ved” instead of “susceptible to (whatever ill)”? Is that expression a very successful (susceptful) eggcorn? (See this discussion .) Probably not only that, but sometimes it may be that, I would suppose.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2021-12-07 09:36:06

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: 'wise and where force' for 'whys and wherefores'

Makes a little more sense for me.

Me too, but the alternative was irresistible. On reflection I suscept I should perhaps have added this to the Jorkel/Dixon wizened/wisened post. If wizened had an extra z there’d be less confusion but we’d have lost a pretty decent eggcorn. I believe you’re of the wise rather than the withered wizard pronunciation and might have made some sense of “wizened wherefores”. Shame I can’t find any.

Board footer