Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2023-12-16 04:52:19

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'throbbed off' for 'fobbed off'

The growing popularity of th-fronting dialects means a relatively unfamiliar word like ‘fob’ can be reinterpreted (after inserting the necessary consonant) as ‘throb’. The throb in question might be a convulsive shrug, a dismissive pulse of some sort but I acknowledge any eggcornishness is not immediately apparent.

(Somewhere in the East Midlands there is a band called The Artfrobs – they seem well worth watching.)

You have to be pushy with the ENT’s though, I found I got throbbed off the first few times which is frustrating especially given the 3 month odd waiting list.

That is appalling Syl, how you were throbbed off.

We wasn’t happy so went to speak to management and was throbbed off a few times being told that …

I asked for a rebate as a good will gesture or by this time of been throbbed off a full refund but she said no and would not offer any good Will gesture or an apologies for the awful night stay.

I keep being throbbed off by the drs saying I’m ’ fine ’ and I’ve been given numerous boxes of antibiotics that haven’t worked.

#2 2023-12-16 12:17:44

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: 'throbbed off' for 'fobbed off'

Bazeer! Decided to check: The extra transitional consonant may not be all that necessary after all.

Go back the next day, giving antibiotics get thobbed off and sent home again! Im up coughing all night, my chest feels like a stampeed of …

I,m convinced there is an underlying problem but untill more people make the effort to report the problem i think we will just be thobbed off by nikon.

Try posting on FB, get blocked; ringing, thobbed off; now writing letters, don’t bother. Engage with Liberal Ministers? What a joke.

Make a petition and make sure Blizzard know that we won’t be thobbed off. We want the same customer service we experienced in Vanilla and swifter action

There seem to be a lot of them. Don’t know enough to query where they come from: some of the electronic addresses are not from the UK.
Sight unseen (and sound unheard) I love the Artfrobs. They’ve had me chuckling for a couple of days.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2023-12-21 07:57:34)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2023-12-24 07:01:26

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Somewhere, high above a magic beanstalk, a giant with a similar affliction smells blood and begins, “Thee, thigh, though, thumb …”

#4 2023-12-26 07:10:50

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Shouldn’t it be “thee, thy, though, dhum…” (whatever that last word means or however you spell it)? Seriously, do people treat the voiced “th” (DH, I’ll write it) like the voiceless TH, switching to it from “v”, like TH is a switch from “f”? Or do they not keep that voicing distinction any more (e.g. pronouncing “thy” and “thigh” the same, or “neither” and ”(be)neath ’er” so they don’t contrast? If they don’t keep the distinction, is it always TH or always DH, or under what circumstances do they switch? Seriously, I’m curious.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2023-12-26 07:15:32)

#5 2023-12-27 06:33:23

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

I’m sorry to have created such confusion in trying to be doubly topical by dragging in a Christmas pantomime reference. It should indeed be “thee, thy, though, dhum …”. I must have rendered thy as thigh to keep the thumb company and maintain some symmetry as I had no idea that I could employ dh to more accurately represent the sound required. I often find myself in such situations.

Incidentally, just last night while reading about the Peasants’ Revolt of 1381 I came across a possible origin for fob in the shape of the little town of Fobbing, where it began. The peasants were fobbed off by new charters signed by Richard II who withdrew the charters once the peasants went home; then the executions began. Etymological dictionaries have its source in the late 14th c. but are vague about the origins.

#6 2023-12-27 08:16:37

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

That etymology makes plenty of sense. Richard II apparently was an out-and-out out-of-bounder like so many potentates going back to King Herod and far beyond, and certainly continuing up to the present day.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2023-12-29 23:46:15)

Board footer