Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-01-01 23:35:17

kem
Eggcornista

soapbox

Perhaps we could do this kind of site for eggcorns: http://savethewords.org/

We would get people to pledge to use the acorn instead of the eggcorn.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2011-01-02 07:25:29

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: soapbox

What? My plan was to use eggcorns in public whenever I can—and play dumb about it—just to mess with peoples’ head. And now you want to take that away?

#3 2011-01-02 22:09:00

burred
Eggcornista

What, proscribe eggcorns? Nay, laddie. I don’t let slip to anyone anymore that they are using an eggcorn; the reaction is always negative, however much I might want it to be celebrated. I regret having told a dear relative that it’s not really a “melody” of spices nor of salad greens: that was a gem. I have taken an active adversarial role in the frequent online polls on CBC decrying the debasement of the language. The latest, announced Friday, wants to ban “viral”, “Google” (as a verb), and “live life to the fullest”, of all things. Admittedly, I might have been led far astray here. I’ve noticed that I’ve come to embrace and even cherish clichés, which provide such important fooder for eggcorns.

#4 2011-01-02 22:49:53

patschwieterman
Administrator

I have taken an active adversarial role in the frequent online polls on CBC decrying the debasement of the language.

Yes! Let’s celebrate the creative, surprising, ear-opening ways in which people actually use the language.

And I’ll post a year-end soon, but right now I have to get back to grading—and shaking my head at my students for their creative, surprising, ear-opening ways of using our ostensibly shared language.

#5 2011-01-03 17:05:54

kem
Eggcornista

As a writer, I’m aware how much I depend on our common heritage of English. The language will evolve, of course – English speakers in the 2500s will find our language habits uncouth. But I’d like to preserve for as long as possible some common and widely-accepted standards of usage, grammar, and spelling. So yes, I do correct serious malapropisms, even eggcorns, and I expect to be corrected (a principle that we on this forum should perhaps call the “golden rue”).

Think of our language as a ship. We can’t stop it from carrying us to strange ports on its multi-century voyage. But we can try to keep our part of the ship tidy.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer