Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2016-06-10 07:05:09

JemButters
Website

"perfection ammunition" for "perfect ammunition"

I came across this today in the British Daily Express. Full context is “The damning statistic provides perfection ammunition to the Vote Leave camp less than a fortnight before the historic EU Referendum with campaigners saying the only way to regain control of our borders is to leave the EU project.”

It couldn’t just be a typo, could it, but might it be the result of autocomplete software? Or does it make some sort of eggcorny sense, i.e. ammunition that leads to a state of perfection?

A Google ” ” search throws up a mere 84 occurrences, and I can find none in COCA, GloWbE, NOW, or Ngrams.

Any thoughts?

#2 2016-06-10 10:23:12

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "perfection ammunition" for "perfect ammunition"

If you look closely at those Google hits, you’ll see that there are only two or three hits that could be taken as real examples.

Your autocomplete suggestion seems like a good one. A reporters filing stories from their tablets these days?

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2016-06-10 11:40:08

burred
Eggcornista

Re: "perfection ammunition" for "perfect ammunition"

It could be an anticipation error.

Board footer