Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2017-04-08 13:55:52

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

rapid < rapt

Dad never talked about her step mom not even when she had ask before, the other girls were also listening in rapid attention.

the crowd, now listening with rapid attention,. “I don’t know why I was chosen to stand here, but there are things that I do know.

Although Rosalie was listening rapidly to Portishia’s response I already knew who it would be. I threw my fist into the air in elation.

Both rapt and rapid are intense words: when you listen raptly your mind is probably churning rapidly.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2017-10-28 13:34:45

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: rapid < rapt

A fiercer version:

Such strong sales earned the band even more rabid attention from major labels — gossip circulated in the punk underground about how many thousands …

I snapped to rabid attention, my mind turning over every conceivable plan I could initiate

It was inevitable that the Fund for the Republic would attract his rabid attention. Lewis had taken several swipes at the Ford Foundation in recent years

And plenty of others. Much less common (naturally, since contemplation is such a peaceful notion):

Her eyes were wide, tearless, fixed in a rabid contemplation of Valmiki.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2017-10-28 13:35:39)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2017-10-29 14:44:36

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: rapid < rapt

Grade A large. And I do like the idea of rabid contemplation. It conjurs up the possibility of attention so rapt that it becomes physically painful.

Our judges, Aya and Christian and Kelly and our host Hannah [Davis] were so racked with attention, you could see it in their faces.
http://ew.com/article/2015/11/12/projec … interview/

“I thought it was amazing that this one man without any words could keep a thousand people just racked with attention,” he said.
http://missoulian.com/entertainment/art … 4.amp.html

I see that there are some simblings – wrapped with guilt, wrapped for racked, and bad rap/wrapped knuckles.

Board footer