Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2017-11-06 07:14:01

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'emptiness syndrome' for 'empty nest syndrome'

I suppose they amount to much the same thing, but the imagery seems very different to me; on the one hand there is a blank void, on the other a near-vacant twiggy home in a tree.

The emptiness syndrome is suffered by many parents when their children fly the nest.

Some wallow in self pity, depression by others struggle with psychologist’s call the “Emptiness Syndrome” when the last child leaves home, especially if it is …

After her children moved out, Birkett said she suffered from “severe emptiness syndrome,” and wanted to do something to help children that …

I think the mother feels the “Emptiness Syndrome” when the kids move away for good…

#2 2017-11-06 07:49:00

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: 'emptiness syndrome' for 'empty nest syndrome'

I love it.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2017-11-06 15:24:29

yanogator
Eggcornista

That first one really missed it, using the “fly the nest” metaphor, but mis-naming the syndrome. :)

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#4 2017-11-07 07:46:39

kem
Eggcornista

All the good eggcorns have not flown the nest.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#5 2017-11-07 09:03:28

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

yanogator wrote:

That first one really missed it, using the “fly the nest” metaphor, but mis-naming the syndrome. :)

Actually I half wonder if the author did it on purpose. Admirable, in its way, if so. But I’m glad for the other examples where it is more likely inadvertent.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#6 2017-11-08 01:36:33

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Something nagged the back of my mind that we had had a ness/nest confusion before, though of a very different ilk; what was even further back in my mind was that I had had anything to do with it

http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?id=5417

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#7 2017-11-11 12:22:10

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Thanks for the reminder, John. I’d forgotten too, yet oddly enough had skirmished the loch but thought a disappointed monster-watcher interpretation a wet step too far. Such possibilities, though, sustain me through these whimsical searches.

Sounds like mama is having Empty Ness Syndrome! I know that feeling! Got 4 and only 1 left at home! yes …

Empty-ness syndrome. A sense of depression and a loss of purpose that some parents experience when the youngest child leaves home

Last edited by Peter Forster (2017-11-11 13:11:50)

Board footer