Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-04-12 15:10:55

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Standard/Stand-up Lamp

I’ve just seen “stand-up lamp” but it’s somewhat borderline as an eggcorn. A standard is apparently a long candle in a church which might explain “standard lamp”.

This from www.etymonline.com

standard
mid-12c., “flag or other conspicuous object to serve as a rallying point for a military force,” from O.Fr. estandart, probably from Frank. *standhard, lit. “stand fast or firm,” a compound of words similar to Gothic standan “to stand” (see stand) and hardus “hard” (see hard). So called because the flag was fixed to a pole or spear and stuck in the ground to stand upright. The other theory connects the O.Fr. word to estendre “to stretch out,” from L. extendere (see extend). Meaning “unit of measure” is early 14c., from Anglo-Fr., where it was used 13c., and is perhaps metaphoric, the royal standard coming to stand for royal authority in matters like setting weights and measures. Hence the meaning “authoritative or recognized exemplar of quality or correctness” (late 15c.). Meaning “rule, principal or means of judgment” is from 1560s. That of “definite level of attainment” is attested from 1711 (e.g. standard of living, 1903). Some senses (e.g. “upright pole,” mid-15c.) seem to be influenced by stand (v.). Standard-bearer in the figurative sense is from 1560s.

Eggcornhood for “stand-up lamp”?

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#2 2011-04-12 21:14:58

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: Standard/Stand-up Lamp

Arise, Lady (this one’s female, I surmise). I think it’s conceivably eggcorn-y-ish-like. It’s hard to imagine why anyone would think the “up” were necessary if he weren’t casting about for a phantom syllable. Another solution:

Royalty free image
Description: A dark golden stander lamp

I think that the notion of a “standard lamp” must be European. I’ve never heard it used, or if I did, I wouldn’t have recognized it for something beyond a vanilla light source. We do have “lamp standards” and “light standards” out on the street. Hmm, let’s check on that one:

Classified ad
For rent: bedroom with queen size bed, dresser, closet and light stander .

There are a couple of these stand up and be counted lamps (as opposed to the craven recumbent kind):

Auction
6 1/2’ street light-stand up.

#3 2017-11-13 03:14:40

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: Standard/Stand-up Lamp

This is a somewhat different meaning of “stander” for “standard”. In this case, “stander” suggests an upstanding milestone or marker indicating a level of quality. Even though “stander” and “standard” are probably etymologically connected, I still think this is a rather nice eggcorn.

A team player who can achieve a high stander of quality.
employment ad

I honestly have to google Chaykin’s name ever round, to make sure we’re talking about the same guy (dude can really draw). I thought the stander for great would become clearer as we moved forward in time…
discussion of favorite artist survey

They come because of Australia’s location in the Pacific Ocean and because of its high stander of living.
quiz preparation

UK is famous around the world for its high stander of education, and the most favourite destination for Pakistani people.
info for travelers

Last edited by Dixon Wragg (2017-11-13 04:38:08)

Board footer