Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2018-07-10 08:38:55

David Bird
Eggcornista

Florida ceiling windows

From reddit’s nostupidquestions recently. Double pained floor-to-ceiling.

The living room and master bedroom have double pained Florida ceiling windows so that you can have enough natural lighting with out ever leaving your humble abode.
Florida home for sale

I would come here again for the ambiance! You are surrounded by foliage and so much sunlight since the walls are Florida ceiling windows.
Texas resto review

The sunny living area has magnificent florida ceiling windows and a fully integrated kitchen.
FLA realtors

We had an ocean front view room,... which had Florida ceiling windows and the view was breath taking.
Puerto Rico hotel review

#2 2018-07-11 06:49:13

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: Florida ceiling windows

Great one!

#3 2018-07-15 18:12:49

kem
Eggcornista

More on this one. Seems to be genuine. On the other hand, web examples of the “bone apple tea” mentioned on the same page are probably puns.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#4 2018-07-20 20:17:36

yanogator
Eggcornista

Even with all our experience seeing eggcorns, this one just seems so unbelievable! I believe it, of course.

I love that the first one also added pained!

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#5 2018-07-21 01:04:40

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

I agree: it is one of the very best.
Is it a Lehmann?* Are place names not proper nouns?

*[Lehmanns, for any of you who don’t know, are named from the purported eggcorn “in Lehmann’s terms”. They are cases where a proper noun or name is understood in place of content that is standardly meaningful in a different, more normal way. Some of us have doubted that they should really be considered eggcorns, on the grounds that proper nouns have been declared meaningless by some analysts, and in any case do typically designate different individuals in different users’ minds. The Lehmann that I know is typically not the Lehmann that you know. (I personally am more on the “Lehmanns are legit” side, and this example seems to me to bolster that notion. I think it is clear that we all share meanings and associations for Florida, though it is a proper noun, much as we do for layman. The Florida I know is the Florida you know, and we both know it. Proper nouns are different from other nouns, but they do not entirely lack meaning, and this is especially clear when we all mean the same individual when we use one.)]

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2018-07-21 01:15:08)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#6 2018-07-21 16:11:58

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Florida ceiling windows would not be such a good semantic match if they were Siberia ceiling windows. (Siberia sealing windows, maybe, but they would presumably not stretch from floor to ceiling.)

#7 2018-07-27 09:16:39

yanogator
Eggcornista

I agree with David that at least some proper nouns make acceptable eggcorns. I was discussing Florida ceiling windows with a friend, and he suggested that someone might see the term as similar to French doors – a name that has meaning, but most people don’t know why they’re called that. Of course, Florida ceiling windows let in more light.

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#8 2018-07-29 14:28:16

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

A consuegra* of ours, who is from Texas, told us that when she grew up people referred to jalousie windows as “Florida windows”, and she described jalousie windows as larger than other windows, letting in extra light (besides of course opening with louvered panes). I wonder if that contributed to this eggcorn.
[ Consuegra/o is a saliently absent lexical item in English: a parent-in-law of your child (who of course is also, in the normal course of things, the parent of your child-in-law.) Concuño/a “co-sibling-in-law” fills a related lexical lacuna.]

Board footer