Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2018-08-01 19:24:53

David Bird
Eggcornista

Short-sided for short-sighted

Today, in a comment on a feature in the NYT:

What I am saying is that, as a business woman in a world dominated by men and men’s perspectives, this is pretty common, for men to be short sided about what to do. It seems to have something to do with shame, this whole detachment process. It’s short sided, it’s fence sitting.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 … 80801&te=1

Short-sighted>>short-sided has been in the Database since 2005. It was suggested that it related to understrength team size in soccer. I don’t know. In the example above, short-sided seems to imply a lack of vision or ideas, or an unwillingness to act. I suppose that that could correspond to a lack of players on your side.

The concluding sentence of the NYT comment was even more puzzling:

Let’s ignite a resiliency building movement to unite us in a pro social and productive way and counter the throwness created by fear that divides us.

Does anyone have an idea what throwness might be here?

#2 2018-08-30 08:00:31

kem
Eggcornista

Re: Short-sided for short-sighted

I know it as a term from Heideggerian philosophy. Not the sort of word one would drop into a conversation, though.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer