Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#26 2018-07-21 18:08:49

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: A number of pathos, ethos and logos were found as well

DavidTuggy wrote:

But not “he is a banana”.

Nor is she a cracker (in the sense we’re using here), or a pregger, or a bonker.

In fact, for me you can’t be bananas but must go it/them, while the other ones meaning “crazy” you can either be or go. Hmm.

I have commonly seen/heard a person or a situation described as “bananas” without the “go”.

#27 2018-07-23 13:34:21

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Right. “He is a nut” is the exception.
OK, our dialects or idiolects must be different on the issue of “bananas” without the “go”. I think I might just barely do “be all bananas”, though.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#28 2018-08-01 12:28:52

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

David T wrote:

A cracker, whether or not from Georgia, is certainly a pluralizable noun, but I am not used to referring to a person who is crackers as a cracker.

How odd that seems. From where I’m sitting, someone who is crackers is cracked and therefore must be a cracker. But someone who is good crack, that is, skilled at entertaining conversation and gossip, would never be described as a cracker, unless they were also at least a little deranged of course.

#29 2018-08-01 19:29:57

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Yes, cracked, for sure. But being cracked does not make you a cracker, in my dialect, any more than being all the crack does.

#30 2018-08-04 03:43:58

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Lucy Lui was awesome and the gorg man, Sherlock, he was brills. Haven’t seen him in anything else, so I base his acting ability on this alone

[she] took me, particularly, from someone who has never been able to grasp dancing to the delivery of a confident and enjoyable performance….she was brills!

I don’t remember hearing this word, but it rings right to me. It keeps niggling at my mind that I know other British words with this adjectival -s.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2018-08-04 03:46:58)

#31 2018-08-04 04:29:36

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

DavidTuggy wrote:

I don’t remember hearing this word [“brills”], but it rings right to me. It keeps niggling at my mind that I know other British words with this adjectival -s.

I assume “brills” is short for “brilliant”, a common British colloquialism meaning something like “great!”.
Re: other modifiers with the -s ending: I’ve heard “totes” for “totally”, but that’s an adverb, not an adjective, and I’m not sure if it’s used in the UK.

#32 2018-08-04 10:21:22

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

My granddaughter suggests (totes) adorbs .
Strikes me that adorbs , preggers , and brills, as well as totes , involve shortening what is already an adjective (or an adverb in the last case) and then adding the -(er)s. The -s then is not in these cases (as it is in nuts, bonkers, bananas ) a category-changing derivational suffix. (The derivational/inflectional boundary is a very fuzzy one: many affixes function in both categories and many usages are hard to categorize as one or the other.)
btw, brill without the -s is used, also meaning “brilliant”.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2018-08-12 10:01:19)

#33 2018-08-12 02:52:31

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Just encountered this one recently:

my lens are different.
comment on different perspectives

It seems that this perp thinks lens is a plural.

#34 2018-08-13 09:29:14

yanogator
Eggcornista

Here in Cincinnati, it is very common to hear “lens are”.

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#35 2018-08-14 00:49:45

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

For what it’s worth that -s does seem to mark an abbreviation in names: Debs, Mags, Emms, Mads. Not all names do this and I don’t know if there’s a pattern to them.

I can add awks, whatevs, forevs and imports to the collection.

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#36 2018-08-15 12:58:31

burred
Eggcornista

DT wrote:

Lucy Lui was awesome and the gorg man, Sherlock, he was brills.

He was only gorg, not completely gorges.

BTW, Dixes, check on page 1 of this thread for evidence that great minds think a lot.

#37 2018-08-15 14:42:17

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

burred wrote:

Dixes, check on page 1 of this thread for evidence that great minds think a lot.

Damn! I did look over that page before posting my “lens” comment, but somehow my looking over led to overlooking.

#38 2018-09-15 17:11:42

David Bird
Eggcornista

DavidTuggy wrote:

From today’s version of World Wide Words:
By the way, people sometimes think indices is an English plural and so make a singular noun indice from it (apice and vertice are also very occasionally seen). Examples of indice can be found going back a century or more, not always in uneducated writing. A note by Charles Doyle appeared in the Winter 1979 issue of American Speech: “At a recent academic gathering, a literary savant began his speech with a quotation that spoke of certain indices. Thereafter, at least a dozen times, the speaker referred to this or that indice (ending like jaundice).” It most recently appeared in the Washington Post on 22 August 2008: “Yet as an indice of some of the lines of attack that the McCain camp is employing it is of great interest.” Thus does language change …
Presumably these people pronounced the plural to rhyme with jaundices or premis(s)es or promises?
In any case, this is a backformation, but related to what we’ve been talking about. I can easily see people pronouncing it to rhyme with “dice” rather than “jaundice”. Or “ín-de-see”, in another back-formation.
I have recorded several people using “crisee” as the singular of “crises”.
I’m not sure the pronunciation “premisees” was ever standard for me, but I’m sure I have used it.
Times I’ve thought people were using a singular “parenthesis” meaning a set of parentheses, they may have been using a spelling pronunciation of “parentheses” itself, with schwa instead of ee for that last vowel.

From a pertinent post by DT 10 years ago, 2008-08-30, on the “Things you read” thread.

#39 2018-09-16 19:21:34

yanogator
Eggcornista

As a math instructor, I’ve heard “matrice” and “vertice” (pronounced matrisee and vertisee) as the singular of “matrices” and “vertices” far too many times.

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#40 2018-11-06 07:58:10

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Hoak/hoke has been reported and the possibility/likelihood that it is backformed off hoax . This would be another item in this long entry on plural-related eggcorning, whether or not hoak is derived/cognate in people’s minds from/with hokey. If it is, of course, it is an even more beautiful eggcorn.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2018-11-06 07:58:57)

#41 2018-11-06 12:51:58

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

JuanTwoThree wrote:

For what it’s worth that -s does seem to mark an abbreviation in names: Debs, Mags, Emms, Mads…

That comment, plus burred’s referring to me as “Dixes”, reminded me of an incident in my 8th grade lunchroom. A table full of girls decided to make fun of me by chanting “We want Dix! We want Dix!” Karma was instant as they suddenly realized what they were saying, and became the targets of laughter from everyone in the lunchroom.

Last edited by Dixon Wragg (2018-11-25 01:38:19)

#42 2018-11-19 17:23:48

David Bird
Eggcornista

Hehe, this is not a hoak. It suggests that there is hope for the cruk of the matter. It fits in this bok.

I think the crucks of the matter is that the compiler, should allow identical types
https://github.com/Microsoft/TypeScript/issues/25697

Myles really got to the crucks of the matter and I just add this for more detail
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/752 … s-servicel

The cruck of our freedom
blog

There is help if your boyfriend wants it. And there’s the cruck of it.
Gamblers Anon

#43 2018-11-19 17:30:28

David Bird
Eggcornista

Listening to the radio of a morn, as is my won’t, I heard someone pronounce biases to rhyme with refugees. And then refer to expertise. Or maybe they were expertees, or at least experts possessing expertees.

And only with two or three “key touches”, then you just have to trust the expertee of the software, and enjoy.
https://www.sonarworks.com/reviews?product=truefi

On this site, you will learn everything from the basics, to the expertee pranks to be played in your next war
http://substitutepranks.iwarp.com/

The dough I use is similar to the one I used for the kürtöskalács, you may remember.
The expertee’s hands.
Photo caption

don’t know wheather to bleach my ears or to be proud of the expertee editing skills
https://hypixel.net/threads/pepe-pls.1398420/

I recommend anyone to visit this place and hopefully meet Jean so that you can experience the expertee and stunning honesty of a great man like him.
customer

#44 2018-11-30 12:00:34

kem
Eggcornista

Help me out―which other -s adjectives can you think of?

Spent some time on this—I can’t think of other examples.

All of these adjectives—bonkers, nuts, bananas—share a meaning. The described person/thing is somehow demented. What I suspect we are looking at is not a general-purpose adjective marker, similar to the common dozen or so that see regular use in English, but instead the spreading influence of a single example of an adjective as a pluralized noun that is extended to other nouns that can fit in the same semantic field. The source of these is probably “nuts.”

“Preggers” is an exception in the Oxford -er/-ers system. Words produced by the addition of -ers in this system are almost all nouns.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer