Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2018-11-25 06:12:34

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"recommand" for "recommend"

Which phone do you use or recommand?
query

What oil do you recommand for best result?
coaching site

I recommand you the camolille iced tea
travel guide

Do You Recommand an OPTIMIZEDB after a USERMOD or after MODIFY or Index Creation ?
nerd talk

Best racing game to recommand
im quite bored of games currently. anybody got a racing game they can recommand thats got action and that stands out of the normal racing genra. thanks
tech site

very cool, very nice, I recommand this hostel, good people in a good place
hostelity

Can anyone recommand a Radius server, we have a Cisco VPN 3015 & using the internal database which limits adding users…
nerd question

May be a misspelling in many cases, but I think it’s very plausible that some would reanalyze the word as a form of “command”. The understanding would be something like “Again, I insist that you try [this restaurant/solution/movie/etc.].”

#2 2018-11-26 10:49:21

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: "recommand" for "recommend"

Interesting. Some of these might be French speakers; there’s no “commend” left in that language, as far as I know. The roots of recommend and command in French and English are eggcornishly twisted:

recommend (v.)
late 14c., “praise, present as worthy,” from Medieval Latin recommendare, from Latin re-, here probably an intensive prefix, or else from a sense now obscure (see re-), + commendare “commit to one’s care, commend” (see commend). Meaning “advise as to action, urge (that something be done)” is from 1746.
Online ED

command (v.)
c. 1300, “order or direct with authority” (transitive), from Old French comander “to order, enjoin, entrust” (12c., Modern French commander), from Vulgar Latin * commandare, from Latin commendare “to recommend, entrust to” (see commend); altered by influence of Latin mandare “to commit, entrust” (see mandate (n.)).
Online ED

Board footer