Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2019-01-21 00:56:16

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"to hell in a ham biscuit"

From a recent Facebook conversation (D is me; S is my friend):

S: Me, I discovered today that I’m going to hell with a ham biscuit.
D: Did someone actually say that to you, Suellen, and if so, were they punning or did they really think that’s how the phrase goes?
S: Yes, and they thought that was the legit saying. Oy.

A web search on “hell with a ham biscuit” was fruitless (meatless?), but a search on “hell in a ham biscuit” yielded some puns and some apparent eggcorns. Here are the latter:

#malaprop Our daughter used to say that “things are going to hell in a ham biscuit” when she was little.
tweet

Amazing it only had one minor chart hit—but a good indication that pop music (as generally reflected on the charts) had more or less gone to hell in a ham biscuit.
music discussion

Are things still (as a UNC undergraduate once wrote) going to hell in a ham biscuit?
BBQ book

I think this one is on its way to infecting enough people to qualify as an eggcorn. It’s possible that it’s one of those that started with people hearing a pun and thinking it was the real standard usage, as may have happened with, e.g., “oldtimer’s disease”. I forget what kem calls this kind of thing in his book.

#2 2019-01-24 18:23:00

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "to hell in a ham biscuit"

“Eggplants.” Though I also like Joe Krozel’s term for these pun-nurtured usages: achehorns

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer