Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2015-01-14 06:48:47

burred
Eggcornista

"Floors" of flaws

Further exploration of the eggcorns contributed to a social board on a music forum, http://drownedinsound.com/community/boa … l/4266817.

The loss of distinguishability between some words in non-rhotic dialects appears to be the source of another eggcorn, in this case floors for flaws. In the the many examples available on the web, the new imagery of floors might involve the idea of limits, especially lower limits. I especially like the last hit below.

What happened to the proud Home of the British Army that Aldershot used to be?! Yes it has always had its floors but at least we still had a bit of pride!!
http://drownedinsound.com/community/boa … al/4266817

Rita – Queen of Speed is lower than Desert Race. In spite of its floors, Rita remains the perrenial underachiever.
Roller coaster forum

His judgements are severely floored, without going back to last season with his odd decision making.
Football forum

Hollywood blockbusters – they sell massively and by your definition are therefore the best type of films! This should spell out the obvious floor in your logic to you
Gamer debate

I’ve been trying as hard as I can but I CANNOT FIND A FLOOR IN YOUR LOGIC!
UK football fans

So us “Anti-growth mob” are to blame for… this? Are you seeing the floor in your logic?
Community development comments, Australia

Steve Jobs, is someone I admire hugely. Yes, he has numerous personality floors but his obsession to follow his heart in all things …
Inspiration for entrepreneurs

#2 2019-04-07 18:34:54

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: "Floors" of flaws

Oops, I missed this post from 2008, that also includes the interesting return tripper.

#3 2019-04-08 14:49:10

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "Floors" of flaws

Who said a pun was the lowest form of humor? This eggcorn might be even lower. Or if it were intentional, I suppose it might be the lowest of the low? (Spanish “del suelo para abajo no pasa” = it won’t go any lower than the floor.)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer