Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2019-05-24 18:46:45

David Bird
Eggcornista

You should exuberate confidence

I like this extension of ‘exuberate’ as a transitive verb. It’s so economical. He doesn’t just express love, he exudes and liberates it exuberantly. From the radio the smorning, in an exuberant homage to soul singer Charles Bradley. Lots of hits from the self-help world, where one is encouraged to exuberate confidence.

Habits that will help exuberate your confidence
self-help

How To Become An Alpha Male: Exuberate Confidence and Command The Room, Become The Envy Of All Males
self-help

Both Komolika and Rii have exuberated confidence in all the sex scenes, showing their maturity as actresses.
Native English Dictionary online

#2 2019-05-25 20:40:08

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: You should exuberate confidence

Reminds me of this I came across again the other day:

I cannot picture my life with a man who exonerates such a woman, above even God.

This was in a Pride & Prejudice fan-fiction, referring to Mr. Collins and Lady Catherine de Bourgh. Clearly it means something like “honor, reverence”.
I expect there are other examples out there, but have not come up with a good sieve for finding them. In a sense honoring and exonerating tend in the same direction, but in another sense they are almost opposites. There are some examples of exhonorate out there, and you can see how it could mean both “honor (overmuch)” and “restore to honor, exonerate”, but the standard etymology of exonerate is from onus , taking the exonerated one out from ( ex ) under the onus of accusations of misbehavior.
Anyhow, they’re fun.
btw, you can (unsurprisingly) exuberate other things than confidence:

Vidyalaya and Managing Director, Lotus (Service Apartments) is a multi-faceted personality who exuberate charm and confidence

Elegant, unique and custom made jewelry for the sophisticated trendsetters who exuberate charm and sense of style

Orton was the most interesting during this time period and he certainly exuberated charisma.

She was one of those ladies you could not help to be drawn to, she just exuberated a sense of knowledge, it seemed in everything.

the school staff, district members, photographers, journalists, and law enforcement/security personnel all exuberated a sense of pride

Somehow despite all those negativity of perceptions going on in the mind, the air exuberated a sense of peace and tranquillity.

Our guide was exceptionally sharp and present, yet he exuberated a sense of coolness.

Exuberating coolness (and in a lesser degree peace and tranquillity) strikes me as at least faintly oxymoronic. It seems unlikely that the perps really have exuberance in mind: it’s more like a garden-variety malapropism for exude .

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2019-05-25 20:54:32)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2019-05-26 05:59:04

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

#4 2019-05-26 07:05:05

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Here are a few more examples where exonerate clearly means something like “honor, approve of, recommend”:

many who are not Christian highly exonerate the, (organisation called), Salvation Army, however I’m sure I’m right in. suggesting that the warfare element, (as in …

Doctors highly exonerate swimming during pregnancy. Of course, consult your doctor before keeping up any workout, swimming or not, while you are pregnant.

And a related adjectival one? (I guess it means “tolerant of, willing to undergo” or something of the sort.)

Just a couple more months until graduation day! It is kind of a bitter sweet feeling. We have worked so hard for so long to get here, and now it is all almost over. This is a huge stepping stone in all of our lives. I am highly exonerate of discomfort when it comes to graduation day! Albeit it is almost over, I can’t wait until I don’t have to wake up at 6:30am every morning anymore. I am ready for the resplendent lights on us for graduation, and i am ready to rote the routine!

#5 2019-05-28 11:24:55

David Bird
Eggcornista

I am highly exonerate of discomfort when it comes to graduation day! Albeit it is almost over, I can’t wait until I don’t have to wake up at 6:30am every morning anymore. I am ready for the resplendent lights on us for graduation, and i am ready to rote the routine!

Hooboy, that’s some off-kilter, untrammelled expression right there. There is clangour in my frontallopes from her uses of exonerate, albeit, anymore, resplendent and rote. Albeit anymore is gaining acceptance. (It doesn’t help that rote as a verb means burp in French.)

Board footer