Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2019-03-01 15:22:39

David Bird
Eggcornista

Bone apple tea roundup

A recent harvest of interesting slips, reshapings and misunderstandings recorded on r/boneappletea.
active David < affidavit, cerebral policy > palsy, laundry ray < lingerie, tangle telly > tagliatelle, clam india < chlamydia, in one ear and not the other, one two many < one too many, hokum < occam, tack ticks < tactics, me and while, embrace yourself < brace yourself, guild mushroom < gilled, civil wear < silverwear, ice graper < scraper, as soon < assume, non chillant < nonchalant (about 50 hits), lawnchairay < lingerie, super&tender < superintendant, habla gated < obligated, where ol’ where, tighty < tidy, ass and nine < asinine, chubby chic < shabby, stalemeat < stalemate, pesto bismal < pepto-bismol, goos pumps < goosebumps, counter fit < counterfeit, bench watching < binge, kimono dragon < Komodo, silly coned < siliconed, napking < napkin, cuddle sack < cul-de-sac, S cargo < escargot.

There have also be a number of one-off, mondegrenous introductions of a name into another word, that titillate:
April Ham Lincoln, Sarah Tonin, Noah Fence, Mary Nara sauce, Michael wave oven, Michael Damion nut cookies, G Furgolf < G for golf, Shandon Lear < chandelier.

And the winner is: clam India.

#2 2019-03-01 20:39:57

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: Bone apple tea roundup

Good grief! Non-chillant is perhaps my favorite: a controcorn of sorts. (I mean, chillant ought to mean “non-chalant”, more or less.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2019-03-02 05:40:45

David Bird
Eggcornista

These just in in the last few days: frontallopes < frontal lobes, but jesus < bejeezus, my ears are bleating < bleeding, air raider < aerator, buyist < biased.

Hehe.

Also: in cage < engaged, but Kem had already spotted that one.

Last edited by David Bird (2019-03-02 05:42:11)

#4 2019-07-29 16:57:22

burred
Eggcornista

I just had to add this. Is it a Lehmann if the original was a name?

#5 2019-07-31 17:57:51

David Bird
Eggcornista

This would leave us without a term to describe “the respelling of a proper name to bring it into line with the semantics of a similar-sounding non-proper word.”
Kem

So Bruise Lee is just out there.

#6 2019-07-31 21:36:50

kem
Eggcornista

Bruise Lee. That’s wonderful. Calling them gradegrinds, as I suggested way back when, is pretty darn obscure. We should call the respelling of a proper name to bring it into line with the semantics of a similar-sounding non-proper word “Bruise Lees.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#7 2019-07-31 22:00:58

kem
Eggcornista

“Non chillant” seems to be an eggcorn. I’m not sure it’s a controcorn. If you do something in a nonchalent way, it “breaks the ice,” it does not introduce an awkward, icy atmosphere.

I agree, “clam india” for “clamydia” is wonderful (though possibly offensive, like “French pox”). But the phrase doesn’t appear to pass the frequency tests that could prove it an established usage and therefore an eggcorn.

“Silly cone breast implants” for “silicon breast implants,” though also rare, might just qualify as an eggcorn. Problem is, the pun factor is high, so it would require some fairly solid proof. “In one ear and not the other” also has frequency issues.

The others that could be eggcorns, such as kimono dragon and counterfit, we have already discussed on the Forum.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer