Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2019-08-22 06:17:57

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'metriculous' for 'meticulous'

Although it could be no more than a slip of the finger, the insertion of that little ‘r’ confronts us with manic precision, the friendly little inch becoming a hairsplitting 25.4 millimetres.

Smith is a metriculous archivist and an expert in folk music; his concise notes on the pieces bear extensive references to old British folk songs.

Her fingers worked quickly to create a metriculous row of uniform stitches.

We follow a metriculously devised process, which leads to innovation and quality without compromising timeliness.

I previously sold the same house for 439K in January of 2010. It was metriculously maintained and boosted a beautiful garden and state-of-the art heated pool.

For instance, Sir Flinders Petrie measured with his metriculous skill every detail of the Pyramid, and if his records of measure are used in terms of this new inch value, the following results at once come staring us in the face.

#2 2019-08-22 15:12:03

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: 'metriculous' for 'meticulous'

Be interesting to find evidence that any of the perps truly perceive metric in there. Do people in general think of metric measurement as more exact than SAE (or other foot/inch) measurement?
Are there (other) words with metric in them which have their main accent on the tric syllable?

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2019-08-23 08:52:09)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2019-08-23 14:31:44

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: 'metriculous' for 'meticulous'

David, trying to find the latter I did stumble on this simbling :

He makes a matriculous attempt at explaining the Law of Diminishing Returns.

The lay-outs, designs and physical structures are required to be matriculously worked out with reference to the specific needs of a particular market.

The kind of effort required for matriculation perhaps.
And another:

They were felicitated by the school Head Ms N Geeta Srinivasa in the school assembly for their meriticulous work.

As for your first question, I find most people seem to have accepted the imposition of metrication without the desperate rearguard resentment I try not to nourish, but I still have to consult conversion sites to escape from apparently random thousands of millimetres to comprehensible feet. I’m only grateful that we didn’t go the whole nine yards – sorry, 8229.6 mm – and embrace 100 minute hours, 10 hour days and 10 day weeks as originally planned.

Board footer