Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2019-09-05 12:46:03

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

leeway to < lead-in to

I just noticed that, at the beginning of my daughter’s video with me on bloopers, she committed one. Clearly it got past me, and it also got past my other daughter who (if I remember rightly) wrote or at least supervised the transcriptions at the bottom of the screen:

That [a misspelling] might be a good leeway into this video

So I googled it, and there are a good many more:

Learn to use Bumper Jumper and that’ll give you a good leeway into learning strafe patterns. Or Helljumper. That works too.

I think The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt could be a good leeway into comedy shows, so I’m very excited!

This is a good leeway into talking about how you got interested in what you’re currently doing: any research, jobs, even the reasoning behind …

The first haiku is a good leeway into the second one. It describes the main idea and gives a little more insight into the issue at hand

Pretty clearly the intended meaning has to coincide pretty closely with what I would more normally call a “lead-in to” a topic. It fits pretty well semantically: a lead-in offers you space in which to (metaphorically) move into a topic, just as lee-way gives you room to maneuver, perhaps to enter a harbor if that’s where you want to go. In neither case are you forced to move, just offered the opportunity to do so.
There is a shift involved from the mass noun construal of “some leeway (to maneuver in)” to the count-noun construal of “a leeway (into)”. The notions of “a doorway into” or “a doorway leading in to”, or “a roadway”, or even just “a way in(to)” are doubtless involved in some degree, too.
The number of instances on the Internet suggest that it is natural for a number of people, probably standardized in some degree for them.
Eggcorn, say I.
Closely related: leaveway
Even more closely related: leadway < lead-in

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2019-09-05 15:58:48)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2019-09-22 13:36:53

kem
Eggcornista

Re: leeway to < lead-in to

Fascinating, in a macabre sort of way.

The verb “segue” (pronounced “seg-way” because it was borrowed from Italien) may also play a small role.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer