Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2019-10-30 09:46:53

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

bone arrow

I was shocked not to find this one already dealt with.
I and probably many other kids probably committed this eggcorn early in childhood. I vaguely remember realizing that it probably was bow’n rather than bone at some point. I don’t remember what I thought the bone had to do with it (arrowhead made of bone? bow itself of bone, like a horn bow or something? arrow that well shot will penetrate to the bone?).
Most internet hits are apparently (quasi-)legit, from fantasy games with different kinds of arrows and suchlike. But still:

He’s been waiting weeks to buy a “Bone Arrow” set! It’s just too cute to correct!!

For sale two guitars: Silvertone acoustic – electric guitar – Behr bone arrow set – patio table and four chairs – outdoor plastic fishpond call …

(Almost looks like a Lehman for a bare-bones archery set.)

Bone Arrow For Sale in Tallaght, Dublin from darrens32
Bone Arrow, Used Other Sports & Fitness For Sale in Tallaght, Dublin, Ireland for 100.00 euros on Adverts.

Nerf bone arrow for Sale in Chula Vista, CA – OfferUp
Used (normal wear), Good condition just needs arrows. Make an offer!

Variant:

Shop Bone and arrow on Amazon | Low Prices for Bone and arrow‎ ¶

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2019-10-31 12:53:08)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2019-11-07 13:43:57

kem
Eggcornista

Re: bone arrow

Hard to believe this is anything but a simple slip-but the ways of eggcorns are mysterious.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2019-11-07 15:57:51

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

A simple slip-up that makes sense ¿? Not a bad definition for an eggcorn. And it does seem to have been standard for some of us.

#4 2021-11-15 13:56:15

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Just ran across this one again, as a caption in a You Tube presentation [at 8:50 or so] . Quite possibly machine-generated, then, I suppose. The narrator, pretty clearly to my ear, says “bow n’ arrow”.

This paradox is actually known as Zeno’s arrow, but I couldn’t find a bone arrow, so we have got a nerf gun instead.

In several other places in the same presentation there were unusual written forms in the captions. E.g. about minute 12 the narrator says her (non-rhotic) version of world , and the caption says wells .

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2021-11-15 14:08:34)

Board footer