Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2019-11-23 12:17:26

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'O my daze' for 'O my days'

“Oh my days!” sounds like a genteel expression of surprise or alarm from a Dickens novel perhaps. Right city, wrong period. It belongs to Multicultural London English, a dialect which has elbowed aside Cockney and seems to be considered cool, edgy and authentic by the yoof of the city and increasingly wider afield, regardless of any and every ethnic origin. Sometimes known as Jafaican, Ali G seems to have noticed its ripeness for satire and mockery long before provincials like me had even heard of it.
Anything which reduces the incidence of OMG I greet with genuine relief. I find myself wondering whether some shred of Pentecostal disapproval lies behind this variant, as the original seems to sit uneasily among its MLE glossary brethren.

Oh my daze Im a baby aroha, whoever made that deserves a cookie.

I watched the link an o my daze I’m still traumatised.

But o my daze it really is a way to say oh my god.

“oh Immy ur so sexy, why did i marry Akky and not u”, ur the only man i want and i will get u”. o my daze she does not say that it more .

‘O my days’ seems pretty opaque but the daze variant suggests a giddy excitement or astonishment.

Last edited by Peter Forster (2019-11-25 04:38:20)

Board footer