Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2020-01-15 10:05:35

David Bird
Eggcornista

"Sod off" for sawed off

Sod off (phrasal verb)
If someone tells someone else to sod off, they are telling them in a very rude way to go away or leave them alone.
[British, informal, rude]
Collins Advanced English Dictionary

In conservative circles, it is even ruder to convey the request by shotgun.

Franco is a piece of shit. He was always getting arrested years ago. He once got arrested for possessing a sod off shot gun with ammo while driving around downtown on a weekend night.
R: “Sod off shotgun”??? Did it shoot grass or something?
https://turtleboysports.com/if-grafton- … lieve-him/

im trying to find out online what this law says you can conceal or not or if you still need a permit for only certain kinds of guns. is this for all guns or just hand guns? my one buddy told me you’d even be allowed to conceal a sod off shotgun as long as you had a license for it, but does that mean for inside a restaurant too? even if your not old enough to drink?
http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum … 69220.html

Never made it in the car!They drive to the neighbors house around the block and up the street. They got there before me. I’m chasing a car now, being shot at with a 12 Gauge sod off Shotgun down the middle of the street.
https://mandy9mm.wordpress.com/

Shotgun Blaster: A very unique energy weapon that resembles a sod off shotgun, with a twin barrel that shots an accelerated particle beam.
https://liveactionprotest.forumotion.co … ile-thread

OP:To think you can walk in here with two unbound bounties have yourself a few drinks and trust they won’t try to run off?” Jacob had turned to look at the masked man who spoke to him and immediately he saw a rifle on the mans back, a sod off shotgun to one side, and a double barrel Peacemaker to the other. These were just what he carried on him.
P2:The fighting dulled down immediately, with a few others still brawling in the corners. As attention slowly came to him he pulled out the sod off and pumped it. He had his peacemaker aimed down at the mage, and the sod off at the gun man. The pipsqueak he didn’t need to worry about, it seemed like she had only knives, he could gun her down before she got to him.
https://role-player.net/forum/archive/i … -8505.html

Unbound bounties? Sounds as though they think that “bounty” is another name for fugitive.

#2 2020-01-15 18:27:55

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "Sod off" for sawed off

In that next to the last example (the OP paragraph), the shotgun wielder is carrying his weapon to encourage the bounties not to sod off. But when used defensively, or even offensively, the effect is indeed to encourage the target to decamp. Do you suppose those who use it know the British phrase, though?

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2020-03-11 09:03:58)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2020-01-16 17:55:13

David Bird
Eggcornista

DavidTuggy wrote:

Do you suppose those who use it know the British phrase, though?

Most or all of these messages come from the States, so, no, the chances seem slim. Hard to say what motivated this expression. I don’t remember what motivated me to look. The connection between sod and sawed is mostly present in the form of jokes on the web.

#4 2020-01-18 10:32:23

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Hard to say what motivated this expression. I don’t remember what motivated me to look.

David, perhaps it was sword off shotgun which stirred the sediment. I posted it a few months ago under DT’s “duel edged sword” below.
Incidentally, sod off is markedly less rude than fuck off for instance, jostling perhaps with piss off in the rudeness stakes. It is a little ruder, I feel, than bugger off though both can be teamed up with it and all too, for exactly the same effect. Buggerlugs, sadly, has become unaccountably rare but was once widely used with only mild disparagement, or even affectionately.

#5 2020-01-19 04:29:50

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Buggerlugs I had never heard. I’m tempted to try it out! There’s something about the sound of it that fits the mood it expresses. Something about the stressed _ǝ_ (or _ʌ_ ) sound. Dad-gum-it has a bit of the same, though of course there’s a metathesis in that expression as well (and maybe euphemistic substitution of Dad for God [the Father]).
I think you said one can say sod it , is that right? Or was the “too, for exactly the same effect” referring to the f word? Do people say piss it too? Piss all sounds vaguely more familiar to me. All of these are pretty exotic Britishisms to my tastebuds, except the f ones.
Where does damn fit on the rudeness scale? (For me it is probably the mildest of all these.) It collocates fine with it and all (or better it all ), but does anyone say Damn off ?
Once, back in the 1970’s or 80’s I think it was, we were getting lunch in some fast-food restaurant and my wife was at the salad bar next to a woman in a bit of a hurry, who had on her tray a large root beer which she managed to dump over, completely drenching the salad she was in the process of concocting. Joy (my wife) said “Oopsies!” at the same moment that the other woman (lady?) came out with a fierce “Shiyit!” Then she turned to Joy, and said in an even fiercer tone, “THAT … was NOT … ‘Oopsies!’” Joy has always lamented that she did not have the presence of mind to immediately say, “Well, thank God it wasn’t the other, either. (Just root beer!)”
Is sod in these expressions a synonym or euphemism for shit ? (Shit all might work; shit off and shit it would not. Is that correct?)
The syntax and semantics, and even the phonology, of expletives is fascinating, for sure.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2020-01-19 04:46:45)

#6 2020-01-21 12:09:30

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

The syntax and semantics, and even the phonology, of expletives is fascinating, for sure.

Oh yes, and I find it particularly odd that what were real swear words like damn and Christ can be used without causing offence in most situations whereas reference to body-bits and that which we do with them are now deemed offensive. In Chaucer’s time, I imagine, the reverse would have been the case.

I was brought up in a pretty sweary locality and yet my dear old dad, who died a few months ago at 93, never used anything more severe than “damn!” or if really incensed, “damn and blast!”. As a child I was astonished to encounter folk who, not content with frequent offensive language within each sentence, would even swear within a word. Two examples I recall from that time are “King Fafuckin’rouk” and “St Paul’s Cafuckin’thedral”.

Yes, you can say sod it as well as sod all but neither damn nor shit aspire to such lofty usage. Bugger and sod were used in the exactly same way and had a similar value whether used as a noun or a verb. A daft/stupid/poor sod/bugger were pretty much equivalents. I should add that neither had the vaguest conscious connection to either sodomy or buggery and were used by quite respectable folk when exasperated or driven to distraction.

#7 2020-01-21 20:31:00

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Sod < sodom(y/ite). I never thought of that! A pretty long way around to shit , if it gets there at all.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2020-03-11 09:21:26)

Board footer