Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-02-26 23:14:55

David Bird
Eggcornista

"ledger domain" for legerdemain

Some slide of hand and legerdemain becomes the legerdomain. A bit of prestodigitation, and a credible double yoker appears in the form of accounting ledger domain.

Camera tips
Master the dark art of digital legerdomain

Scandal seeking
Lexam Exploration is part of this confusing circle of financial ledger domain.

Bill Clinton transcript
So, just because you can’t engage in some financial ledger domain and park some of your money, somewhere else.

Health care expenses debate
They may be “fudged” in an almost-endless array of feats of accounting ledger-domain.

As always, check for your wallet..

#2 2010-02-27 03:34:32

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "ledger domain" for legerdemain

Gorgeous. Awesome. (I’m tempted to add the prefix in- to the adjective with which you modified “double-yoker”.)
Another one I’d really like to ask a perpetrator about—e.g. in non-financial contexts, would the person still be thinking of financial ledgers? The examples make it sound probable that they would.
btw, I didn’t catch “double-yoker” when you used it before . Coming from you I reckon it was advertent, but there seem to be thousands of them on the Internet, and of course the misspelling of yolk as yoke is even more common. In our context it is especially appropriate, of course, to the point of being inspired: two substitutions yoked together in a single eggcorn. Loverly, really. (Apparently “double-yoker” is also Cockney rhyming slang for “joker”.)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2010-02-27 03:57:30)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2010-02-28 01:02:08

klakritz
Eggcornista

#4 2010-02-28 01:19:55

David Bird
Eggcornista

Drat! You’ve uncovered my secret algorithm for finding eggcorns, which I now suspect consists of reading the old posts, conveniently forgetting them, then “rediscovering” them while unconsciously denying myself the risk of using the search button to uncover my own plagiarism. The only other plausible explanation is that you have in fact single-handedly discovered a startling fraction of the eggcorns in the lexicon, for which there is considerable evidence as well.

#5 2010-02-28 11:57:38

kem
Eggcornista

I’ve argued for some time that klakritz is a front for an eggcorn-finding corporation. I see that even his facebook page maintains the fiction that he is a real person.

Last edited by kem (2010-02-28 11:58:16)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#6 2010-02-28 16:21:00

klakritz
Eggcornista

When I started posting eggcorns 5 years ago, Chris Waigl told me that she had at first assumed that I was a pseudonym for one of the academic and proper Language – Loggers, indulging a childish and tedious proclivity for wordplay. But since I think individual identity is overrated, I’m happy to be known as either a pseudonym or a corporation.

And however ontologically confused I may be regarding personal and corporate identity, the US Supreme Court is doing worse.

#7 2020-12-21 13:57:47

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

My sister writes: “I’ve come up with a good word for sneaky, crooked bookkeeping: ledgerdemain .” This single-yolked version still works pretty well, and it does show up surprisingly often in finance-related contexts. Even the last example, for instance, has the notion of reckoning up the values of the houses involved.

No monetary accounting ledgerdemain can overcome this limitation. And let’s also not forget that any money issued by the government must some day be …

The police have a suspect. Kline wants to defend, and head into the big-bucks league. There’s plenty of ledgerdemain before the trick ending.

Dr. Hjalmar Schacht, German master of ledgerdemain, ousted from the Reichsbank presidency in January to make way for Nazi inflationists, embarked on a …

Her staging ledgerdemain, on all my listings, has turned homeley and ho-hum to Hallelujah!: Increasing the value of the houses exponentially …

A good example that what is for one person a consciously adopted joke may be perfectly normal for others.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2020-12-21 14:00:18)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer