Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2021-02-17 20:27:52

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

caring concern

My daughter (who lives in Houston and took refuge with shirttail relatives whose power had been less definitively cut off) wrote:

Thank you all for your caring concern. [next: We actually just lost power at Dan and Lisa’s again.]

There are many examples out on the web:

I felt a personal bond with each individual as a result of their caring concern for me.

Their staff, their professionalism, their caring concern, their responsiveness, their integrity and the culture that continues to grow at Irvine Pet Complex makes …

This merger will raise awareness of CHI and their caring concern for the Latino community throughout major cities in the US.

Others said that they were concerned that employees would take advantage of their caring concern and manipulate the relationship to the employees’ favor.

I myself am more used to the phrase care and concern , but if this is an eggcorn of that phrase, it is such a perfect one that it could perfectly well be eggcorned in the other direction, or independently developed on either end. The and / -ing alternation, of course, shows up in many other pairs, and is (serendipitously enough) mixed up with the and / -en(ed) one mentioned in the entry about blacken(ed) blue that I posted a bit ago.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2021-02-17 20:39:37)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2021-03-01 13:27:31

kem
Eggcornista

Re: caring concern

Instances of “caring concern” are running at about 5% of the frequency of “care and concern.” That’s a high replacement rate. The substitution seems to have taken off in the 1970s.

Last edited by kem (2021-03-01 13:29:04)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer