Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2021-04-06 12:10:14

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'vibe' for 'fibre'

“Every fibre of my being.”

Fibre here seems a bit corporeal, meaty even, or manufactured, loom-woven. Our trembling pulses, beats, throbs and twitches may be better described as vibrations. Or vibes. We are, after all, stardust or the quintessence of it.

Happiness, appreciation, sadness, anger – i would feel them with every cell of my body and every vibe of my being. â €

Well, good riddance, I loathed drugs with every vibe of my being.

I do dislike her with every vibe of my being.

... hand was touching my chest and surged through every vibe of my being as I felt an excruciating pain …

Last edited by Peter Forster (2021-04-07 05:04:22)

#2 2021-04-06 21:14:55

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: 'vibe' for 'fibre'

Works for me!

A related one I just saw:

I have atrial fiberation and I have had 2 minor strokes! arthritis in both hips and left wrist and a lot of joint damage

Poor guy’s really hurting, feeling it with every vibrillation of his being.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2021-04-08 19:28:15

kem
Eggcornista

Agree, a great eggcorn. The small difference in sound between “vibe” and “fibre” makes it likely that these are not just mispellings—the writers have misheard the idiom “fibre of my being.”

“Fibre of one’s being.” A strange phrase. Where does it come from? Looks like a calque.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#4 2021-04-13 14:23:05

David Bird
Eggcornista

It’s a tie for me between two characters that I hate and loathe with every viper of my being
fansite

The Sonic Fanbase is,without a single moment of doubt:THE WORST FANBASE I’VE EVER SEEN IN THE HISTORY OF EVERYTHING!!!AND I MEAN THAT WITH EVERY VIPER OF MY BEING.
the same fansite

The main character in this book is Charles. Now I hated him with every viper of my being! He was the most selfish, the most delusional person ever in the history of literature!!!!
book club

What I also enjoyed with every viper of my being was the strong connection Isabel had with Lucy-Grace
same contributor to book club

And how would he want to accomplish getting Seras falling for him? She despised him with every viper of her being and not to mention that father of hers.
fanfic

Not only do I hate it, but all the vipers of my being hate it too. And that’s a lot of venom. The hit where all her vipers enjoyed the book gave me more confidence that this is not an intentional twist of the phrase, in her case at least.

#5 2021-04-13 14:40:23

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Awesome!

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#6 2021-04-15 05:56:39

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Just when I was thinking that the well was drying up.

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

Board footer