Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2021-02-16 10:41:34

drissel

"penned" for "pinned"

In an ice-storm crash near Ft Worth, TX an SUV was lodged between two 18-wheelers. The driver exited via the back door/window. A TV announcer said the driver was “penned” in his car rather than “pinned”. Kinda makes sense especially in cattle country.

#2 2021-02-16 17:25:24

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "penned" for "pinned"

Yes, it does make sense. The [ɛ] / [ɪ] merger, however, is prevalent enough in US speech (Kem and Pat have both confessed to it, as I remember) that this may have been just a pronunciation issue. If a caption spelled it “penned” that might indicate something, but it might well not. It’d be nice to get a perp confession on this one.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2021-02-20 10:56:04)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2021-03-02 19:34:36

yanogator
Eggcornista

I’m familiar with people pronouncing [ɪ] as [É›], leading to people asking for an ‘ink-pin” when requesting a writing tool, but I don’t think I’ve heard it in the other direction.

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#4 2021-03-07 04:30:18

patschwieterman
Administrator

I don’t know if this is relevant, but the fine folks over at the Online Etymological Dictionary suggest that the relationship between pen and pin may go back over a thousand years:

pen (n.2)
“small enclosure for domestic animals,” Old English penn, penne, a word of uncertain origin, perhaps related to Old English pinn “pin, peg” (see pin (n.)) on the notion of a bolted gate or else “structure made of pointed stakes.”
https://www.etymonline.com/word/pen#etymonline_v_12602

#5 2021-05-08 08:08:04

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

In an article regarding Bill and Melinda Gates’ daughter Jennifer:

Jennifer, currently a medical student, called the breakup “a challenging stretch of time” on Monday as she panned an address to her “friends” on her Instagram Story.

Probably just a typo, but some people nearly neutralize the [æ]-[ɛ] difference. I don’t suppose her friends all panned the address that she penned, but some of them might have.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#6 2021-05-08 10:45:10

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Panning an address to friends suggests broadcasting perhaps, as if sweeping that camera in a wide arc to avoid leaving anyone out?

#7 2021-05-09 20:23:25

David Bird
Eggcornista

“panned an address” might be an anticipation error, but a tasty one. It suggests to me that she cooked something up.

Board footer